Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Verify Server identity

After updating my iPhone SE (first edition) to iOS 14.0, I started receiving "Cannot Verify Server identity." After researching the problem and following instructions on YouTube and otherwise, none of the solutions provided (i.e. deleting and reinstalling email accounts, resetting networking or the entire phone) worked. Working with Apple Support and factory-resetting the phone (their recommendation) did not work either.

Finally working with yet another Apple Support team member, together, we discovered the following problem:

Apparently the new iOS 14.0 security features/code cause a router security 'block' function (in my case, in Netgear Orbi Router system) to set, preventing my iPhone SE access. Once I logged-in to my router and 'allowed' access, everything then worked.

This could be a problem with many other users utilizing Netgear or other branded networking products. An advisory ought to be sent out to Apple Support to be aware of the is problem and solution for other customers benefits.

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 4:14 PM

Actually, the problem is that the iPhone by default no longer uses your phone’s Wi-Fi (“MAC”) address when connecting to a router. It uses a randomly generated MAC address, because less ethical websites use your MAC address to track you as you log in to different Wi-Fi networks. It’s a modern form of spyware. It is described here—>Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support.

If your router has MAC filtering enabled (most routers don’t) adding the iPhone’s “fake” MAC address to your router’s Access Control list is one way to resolve the problem, as you discovered. The other way is to turn off “Private address” in the Wi-Fi settings for your home network as described in the article.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 4:14 PM in response to AKE1919

Actually, the problem is that the iPhone by default no longer uses your phone’s Wi-Fi (“MAC”) address when connecting to a router. It uses a randomly generated MAC address, because less ethical websites use your MAC address to track you as you log in to different Wi-Fi networks. It’s a modern form of spyware. It is described here—>Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7 - Apple Support.

If your router has MAC filtering enabled (most routers don’t) adding the iPhone’s “fake” MAC address to your router’s Access Control list is one way to resolve the problem, as you discovered. The other way is to turn off “Private address” in the Wi-Fi settings for your home network as described in the article.

Cannot Verify Server identity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.