Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating data from old to new while trading in old for new.

I intend to upgrade from my MacBook Pro 15" (mid 2014) to the iMac 27" 2020. However, I will be trading in the old for the new. What is the best course of action to migrate all data from old to new? Is this something that can be done at the apple store upon trade in/purchase? Or do I need to move all the data to an external drive prior to the purchase? I do not have a "Time Machine" setup currently.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Very very simple and it works 100% of the time.. Ensure you have a Time Machine backup of the old computer that is up-to-date prior to sending it in and ensure it works by restoring any random file.

When the new computer arrives, connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk from the old computer using a USB cable. When you turn on the new Mac it will launch Setup Assistant, SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another Mac. Select Yes and then select the Time Machine External Hard Disk and follow the on-screen prompts. It will then begin migrating.

If you have already run SA on the new Mac then connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk from the old computer and then launch Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant) and follow the on-screen prompts.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 3:53 PM in response to Script Cub

Very very simple and it works 100% of the time.. Ensure you have a Time Machine backup of the old computer that is up-to-date prior to sending it in and ensure it works by restoring any random file.

When the new computer arrives, connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk from the old computer using a USB cable. When you turn on the new Mac it will launch Setup Assistant, SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another Mac. Select Yes and then select the Time Machine External Hard Disk and follow the on-screen prompts. It will then begin migrating.

If you have already run SA on the new Mac then connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk from the old computer and then launch Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant) and follow the on-screen prompts.

Migrating data from old to new while trading in old for new.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.