Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't empty trash

So, I ocassionaly have issues with my time capsule getting hung up in the preparation stage. It's an easy fix, I just have to dump the in progress index and restart. Well the last 2 times this file has gone into my trash and I effectly can't empty it anymore. I can manually empty individual items but not these files. I've tried repairing the disk, trying to delete them in safe mode, I can't move them out of the trash and I can't delete them via terminal. I think it's slowing down the whole system and I don't know what else to do.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 3:35 PM

I thought I'd post a final update:

So these files I couldn't delete were corrupt indexing files I had to delete from my Time Capsule because they were causing it to freeze up. It's a process I've done many times with no issue. The problem was I could not delete them from my trash bin and I couldn't use the "empty trash" function. I'd have to manually dump everything else in my trash. I tried every troubleshooting solution I could find with no results.

I then noticed that these files only showed up in the trash when my Macbook was connected to the Time Capsule. When I wasn't, they disappeared and the "empty trash" functionality restored. So I decided the best option was to erase the Time Capsule, not a big issue because the darn thing never worked right and every 90 days would tell me there was a problem with my old data and needed to do a new complete backup (it was a gift, bought as one of those holiday door dash specials years ago).

Wouldn't you now after I reset the darn thing I no longer have any issues. I have since decided to just not bother with it and buy an external drive to manually back up my data in one place (I have a gazillion flash drives with the same data too, I like redundancies). But in conclusion it was a buggy time capsule needing to be erased and reset.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 3:35 PM in response to kamicokrolock

I thought I'd post a final update:

So these files I couldn't delete were corrupt indexing files I had to delete from my Time Capsule because they were causing it to freeze up. It's a process I've done many times with no issue. The problem was I could not delete them from my trash bin and I couldn't use the "empty trash" function. I'd have to manually dump everything else in my trash. I tried every troubleshooting solution I could find with no results.

I then noticed that these files only showed up in the trash when my Macbook was connected to the Time Capsule. When I wasn't, they disappeared and the "empty trash" functionality restored. So I decided the best option was to erase the Time Capsule, not a big issue because the darn thing never worked right and every 90 days would tell me there was a problem with my old data and needed to do a new complete backup (it was a gift, bought as one of those holiday door dash specials years ago).

Wouldn't you now after I reset the darn thing I no longer have any issues. I have since decided to just not bother with it and buy an external drive to manually back up my data in one place (I have a gazillion flash drives with the same data too, I like redundancies). But in conclusion it was a buggy time capsule needing to be erased and reset.

Sep 24, 2020 12:25 AM in response to LaPastenague

This is what I'm getting:

Last login: Thu Sep 24 03:02:13 on ttys000

Sarahs-MacBook-Pro:~ Sarah$ sudo rm -R /Volumes/Time\ Machine\ Backups/.Trashes/501/2020-06-21-041600.inProgress 

Password:

rm: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/.Trashes/501/2020-06-21-041600.inProgress/227D9986-2925-40E9-B2BF-1D472CA6181C/Macintosh HD/Users/Sarah/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/File System/Plugins/001/application_x-ppapi-widevine-cdm/33/00013394: No such file or directory

override rw------- Sarah/staff for /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/.Trashes/501/2020-06-21-041600.inProgress/227D9986-2925-40E9-B2BF-1D472CA6181C/Macintosh HD/Users/Sarah/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/File System/Plugins/001/application_x-ppapi-widevine-cdm/33/00013396? 

Sep 24, 2020 2:01 AM in response to LaPastenague

edit: nevermind they came back after I opened system information

Well, the time capsule was hanging again so I decided to address that first. Had to reboot it and then my machine froze. Had to re boot and after the longest startup the trash is empty. IDK what the problem was but I may not reconnect the time capsule after this if it was the cause of the problem. However Finder is working extra slow, so it seams ivy traded one problem for another. Thanks for the advice.

Sep 24, 2020 2:20 AM in response to LaPastenague

This did not work either. I can't access the time machine in the old way to begin with and the problem is that the files I can't delete and are preventing me from using the "empty trash"button (it causes the whole process to hang) are on my computer. For whatever reason the last time I had to go into the TC and delete the in progress file that was hanging instead of just deleting it went into my trash can. I can't move them out, I can't delete them and for the 30 min they weren't in there after I had to manually reboot my machine I could empty trash. If I disconnect from the TC they dissapear again. I guess a total erase is needed of the TC?

Sep 24, 2020 2:24 AM in response to kamicokrolock

I guess the best solution if your Mac is the problem then clean install the OS.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner .. download and use for a month free.. create a bootable clone on a USB drive.. Then wipe your computer and reinstall the OS. Use migration assistant to copy the back just your user files and application. Trash will not be saved to the clone.

But it should be possible to boot to recovery and use terminal instructions from there.. however it does get complicated.

Stop using Time Machine.. it has gone from poor to hopeless with Catalina.. Not sure what OS you are running.

I do recommend CCC as a very able and reliable backup.

Oct 18, 2020 3:50 PM in response to kamicokrolock

Wouldn't you now after I reset the darn thing I no longer have any issues.

That was the desired outcome. But with Time Machine the way it is .. I agree using a big external drive is better way to go.. as well as using a 3rd party backup.. not Time Machine.

I like redundancies

You won't get dissension around here.

Thanks for reporting in and concluding the thread properly.

Can't empty trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.