Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Geotag on photos not working since iOS 14 upgrade.

Ever since I upgraded to iOS 14, my iPhone does not show the geotag location at the top of each picture. Only the date and time it was taken. My camera settings are correct and my location settings are accurate, but it won’t show the location on the photos. The photos I have that were taken before installing iOS 14 show the location and geotag still. But any picture taken since the upgrade does not show the location.

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 5:56 AM

Apple called me now. So, they know the issue. I send the photos and the files they wanted by using their link. They will call me again as soon as possible; I confirm there is no fix at the moment. They will provide through their technicians to look for a definitive solution. The problem affects many devices.

314 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 5:56 AM in response to Hullu Ukko

Apple called me now. So, they know the issue. I send the photos and the files they wanted by using their link. They will call me again as soon as possible; I confirm there is no fix at the moment. They will provide through their technicians to look for a definitive solution. The problem affects many devices.

Sep 24, 2020 11:45 AM in response to Rurrell

It is either a new, ill-considered feature of iOS 14 or a bug. Several users reported the same problem. Currently we can only see the location of new photos, when we swipe the photo up, when viewing it enlarged and look below the photo in the Details section below the photo. Photos, we have taken before the iOS 14 upgrade are still showing the location in the title, but new photos or newly imported older photos are only showing the date and time in the title.

You may want to let Apple know, that this is inconvenient. Here is a feedback form: Photos for iOS and iPadOS - Feedback - Apple

Oct 25, 2020 6:05 AM in response to Rurrell

I'm sending a tweet to @Apple every day (which will be lost in the thousands they probably receive) but it makes me feel better :) and it's easy whilst I'm sat @ home in the evenings.

There is also a feedback form I was asked to complete after I'd spoken to apple last week:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos-ios-ipados.html

So I'm filling & submitting weekly :)

Nov 1, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Rurrell

UK...still not working.

I've sent 5 DM's to @apple support on twitter, and 2 feedback forms via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos-ios-ipados.html (phone was selected)...no replies....yet!

If enough users are feeding back this issue often enough....the techs may, just may actually produce a bug fix to resolve this. I would like to meet the people who (a) thought removing this feature was a good idea....and (b) gave approval to remove it.....and give them a hard slap!! :) :)

Oct 14, 2020 9:48 PM in response to Hullu Ukko

I can feel your frustration bro! It's so sickening. I have had to send my phone back to the store to claim warranty because mine started doing it way back when I updated to 13.3.1, I updated to 14 hoping for a solution but it only got worse.

It's so funny how nobody noticed this in beta. All those youtubers scrutinising everything but missed this. Actually, up to now, there isn't a single blogger talking about this issue, and I am afraid Until they do, Apple won't do anything about it.

Feb 10, 2021 4:21 PM in response to _Kyle46_

Yeah guys, I left my phone overnight to charge and it automatically updated, I was so angry when found out. Sure enough, the bugs are back.

this photo was taken at my college dorm. I am 46 minutes away from my actual house, yet it tags the location as “Home”. It’s really annoying because 14.2 had the issue fixed, it seems like every update it comes back.

May 3, 2021 1:20 AM in response to Rurrell

Here is my annoying problem.

it occurred for 3 days when I was on holidays and it is very frustrating.

Of course, no update these days.

The place is good on an iPad on iOS 12.4, but on an iPad on iOS 14.5:

The place is wrong.

I try to disable iCloud photo and re-enable.

the library is rebuild but location is always wrong and only for these 3 days.

The phot others taken other days at the same place are well geotag.

Sep 24, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Rurrell

I have the exact same issue on my work iPhone (iPhone 7). I upgraded my work iPhone to see if iOS 14 had any major flaws before updating my iPhone 11 Pro Max and all of a sudden geotags on photos stopped. I have checked all settings and everything is correct. What is odd is that the photo will capture the location, but will not display the geotag, only the date and time the photo was taken.

I just updated my iPhone 7 to iOS 14.0.1 and this did not solve the geotag issue. I have no idea what is wrong other than there must be something wrong with iOS 14 itself.

Sep 26, 2020 8:54 AM in response to Rurrell

Small tip, in my case, discovered now about this issue. The only photos geotagged are the ones inside the map area in “my place”, the under menu inside “system service” - “significant locations”. Even if the toggle is disabled, “my place” is the area on the map around my house. In that position, the photos are correctly geotag.

Sep 26, 2020 10:42 AM in response to gbat1980

It does not seem to be a problem of the geo tagging. The iPhone is tagging the photos correctly with GPS or it would not be able to show the location map below the photos , when we view them enlarged and look in the details section below the enlarged photo. why seems to be missing is the name of the location in the title. The names of the location are retrieved from Apple's servers and the problem seems to be with these servers. It is suspicious, that only the location names for new photos are missing, that have not been taken at home. Photos can show the location names of previously scanned photos, where it already has looked up the locations one time ago, and it can show the Home location. Only the names of the new places are missing, where the access to Apple's servers is needed.

Geotag on photos not working since iOS 14 upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.