Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14 missing password for email acount

After upgrading to ios 14.0 (and problem still occurs after 14.0.1), I am having issues accessing my IMAP email server - getting the error 'missing password'. Have checked the settings and the correct password is there... No issues prior to the upgrade.

Anyone else having similar issues?

SMTP is working OK (different account - username & password) - I can send emails, just cant receive them

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 4:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 1:59 PM

1. In Safari, Sign into AOL and go to the AOL Account security page.

2. Click Generate app password or Manage app passwords. It’s near the bottom.

3. Select the iPhone mail app from the drop down menu and click Generate.

1. Go to the mail settings in the iPhone. Instead of putting in your regular AOL password, change the passwords for outgoing and incoming mail servers to this new password that was generated.

5. Click Done.

6. This doesn’t affect your regular password for logging in to AOL.

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 1:59 PM in response to ShaveiceJon

1. In Safari, Sign into AOL and go to the AOL Account security page.

2. Click Generate app password or Manage app passwords. It’s near the bottom.

3. Select the iPhone mail app from the drop down menu and click Generate.

1. Go to the mail settings in the iPhone. Instead of putting in your regular AOL password, change the passwords for outgoing and incoming mail servers to this new password that was generated.

5. Click Done.

6. This doesn’t affect your regular password for logging in to AOL.

Dec 1, 2020 1:23 PM in response to jcarducci

It's become more and more prevelenet with the systems. Ever since Steve Jobs died, things have been going sideways. Decisions are being made that don't help the end user, in fact, they hamper the end user. Since I updated to Catalina, I've had problem after problem, even with the latest version. When I setup a new Mac mini 2018 last week that came with Catalina, the mouse buttons would not work, I had to do a reinstall of Catalina, which fixed the mouse, but made other things worse. There's not a chance I'm going to Big Sur. I wish I could go back to Mojave, but I'm afraid that would cause a whole other set of problems.

I keep saying to myself that I feel like I'm dealing with Windows with the convolutions and inefficiencies.

Nov 6, 2020 3:18 AM in response to FlyingBoatman

Just experiencing the same problem after coming back to it from the Gmail app in order to take advantage of notifications from VIPs only. And because I use an alias for sending in that Gmail account, I understand I need to install it via IMAP rather than the regular Google login option, in order to use the alias.

Did you happen to find a solution to this?

Nov 18, 2020 4:05 AM in response to RuthieBobo

For me, and had tried this many times on earlier releases of iOS and hadn’t worked - 14.2 was the first.

I didn’t try and fix the account, rather set up a totally new account in iOS, but also had changed my password on the imap server. (My imap server was Apple! So you would have thought it should have worked from the outset..).

Once I had a new account working, i tried to set the password on the old one - and it still didn’t work - so looks like once broke, always broke... once happy the new one was working ok, just deleted my old account (in iOS)

dont know if that helps?

Nov 23, 2020 8:32 AM in response to FlyingBoatman

Hi, my friend is having the same 'no password provided' problem with her @bellsouth.net account. I do realize that this is a deprecated email service, but she has established it for her business and does not wish to change it. It was working fine until yesterday evening, which was the last time any emails showed up on her phone. On her non-Apple laptop, the emails are all current.

She is also current at 14.2, we have restarted the phone, deleted the account, re-added the account and still no email sent nor received. I am her Apple Tech guru, so I am here to represent her iPhone problem.

iPhone SE 2020

iOS 14.2

Thank you for your help, most appreciated!

Dec 1, 2020 1:09 PM in response to FlyingBoatman

I noticed that my iPhone (X) and iPad now both on iOS 14.2 both cannot connect to my ATT ( Pacbell ) email account;

I noticed this this morning when checking email on my iPhone that there had been no updates and the tinyest of error messages at the bottom of the screen. My email access continues on my desktop using Outlook or the web based browser so I know my email is otherwise functional at the moment.

I received the "No password provided" error. As a retired developer I know the frustration of a user when a meaningless error message is displayed and "no password provided" is a useless error message when no further diagnostic information is provided. C'mon Apple up your game a little. This just like the recent change you implemented to 'randomize ' the MAC address on your devices; Very little or no warning, extremely difficult to discover the cause. A crappy way to roll out changes no matter how well meaning the intent.

Jerry

Dec 1, 2020 2:16 PM in response to kohanmike

Well actually I sort of owe Apple an apology on this one (red face). Att changed the way they authenticate

pwd data and while I'd updated it elsewhere I let the thing slide for apple's email app. That is until it stopped working this morning. I changed my credentials and sure enough I have email access. So gripe retracted...

Still mildly miffed though about the previous MAC address change...

Never too old to learn something, in this case look closer!

Jerry

Dec 1, 2020 6:31 PM in response to RuthieBobo

Use AT&T's utility on their website to generate a secure keyword and follow the instructions for implementation.

It's clear, concise and simple. My only remaining question had been why it took the better part of a year after

AT&T implemented their security changes for it to fail authentication when attempting access from an iPhone.

I'm curious but not to the point of wanting to pull back the curtain or dig through the internet to find out.

https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1240308/

Jerry

Dec 11, 2020 8:50 AM in response to RuthieBobo

I had this same problem setting up Apple Mail for a new workplace (MS 365) email account. Entered in the required credentials to setup IMAP and verified that my password fields were not blank. For me, the problem was that I needed to enable SSL ("UseSSL")! Wasn't sure if it was only needed for the outgoing or incoming server so I just enabled it for both and the problem went away. Hope this helps.

ios 14 missing password for email acount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.