You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low Headset volume after IOS 14 update

Has anyone else had this issue? I upgraded to IOS 14 now I have to use speaker to hear my

phone calls due to the headsets volume being so low. Side note— I have not dropped or spilled anything on my phone.

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 9:48 AM

35 replies

Oct 2, 2020 12:46 PM in response to kaitnurse

Hi kaitnurse,

Thanks for confirming that the software is updated. Are you able to adjust the volume while on an active call? Does this seem to effect all callers? If so, let's check for carrier settings update by tapping on Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings. Additional details can be found here: Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

All the best!

Nov 29, 2020 9:35 AM in response to jms101jms

jms101jms wrote:

The ear piece and speaker are not obstructed, I have the latest update and the volume of both are still very low. I’ve read that Apple lowered the volume so as not to harm people’s hearing. Is there a way to bypass that?

Most likely this is due to the "Headphone Safety" feature I mentioned previously in this thread. Here is the user manual page that explains how it works and how to disable it:

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/track-headphone-environmental-sound-level-iph1df080ecc/14.0/ios/14.0

Note: Depending on your country or region, Headphone Notifications may be turned on by default, and in some countries or regions, you may not be able to turn off Headphone Notifications.

Based on a quick Google search it looks like there are some EU laws about volume levels, so I'm guessing the EU is affected region.

Did you follow the other diagnostic steps I recommended in my last response?

Did you remove the case and also verify that no plastic file, pocket lint or other obstructions are covering the speakers, then test again with the bare phone? Have you verified that the setting [Headphone Safety] I noted previously is disabled? Does this occur with headphones as well? Did you have a previous iPhone that had adequate speakerphone volume, prior to your 12? Is it only too quiet on phone calls on speaker, or is it also too quiet for music and video playback on speaker? I have a 12 Pro I can verify it is significantly louder on speaker than my 7 Plus. Do you know anyone else with an iPhone 12 so you can compare their speakerphone output to your own? I would also do a complete erase and set it up as new (don’t restore a backup), then test to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists through all of those checks and iPhones are typically loud enough for you on speaker, then I would contact Apple support as they will likely replace either the device or the speaker under the warranty. You may have a defective unit, or there may be an obstruction over the speakers.

Nov 6, 2020 9:00 AM in response to vinothhh

There are new features in iOS 14 to prevent hearing damage and this affects headphones and Bluetooth peripherals (possibly phone speaker as well).

Go to Settings > Sounds and Haptics > Headphone Safety

You can adjust the maximum volume or disable he protection entirely. Be aware, this may lead to hearing loss over time, which is why the feature was introduced.

Nov 16, 2020 11:23 PM in response to jms101jms

Did you remove the case and also verify that no plastic file, pocket lint or other obstructions are covering the speakers, then test again with the bare phone? Have you verified that the setting I noted previously is disabled? Does this occur with headphones as well? Did you have a previous iPhone that had adequate speakerphone volume, prior to your 12? Is it only too quiet on phone calls on speaker, or is it also too quiet for music and video playback on speaker? I have a 12 Pro I can verify it is significantly louder on speaker than my 7 Plus. Do you know anyone else with an iPhone 12 so you can compare their speakerphone output to your own? I would also do a complete erase and set it up as new (don’t restore a backup), then test to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists through all of those checks and iPhones are typically loud enough for you on speaker, then I would contact Apple support as they will likely replace either the device or the speaker under the warranty. You may have a defective unit, or there may be an obstruction over the speakers.

Nov 29, 2020 8:53 AM in response to jms101jms

I also have the same issue. Apple have really not thought this through.......again!!!

I never use headphones, ever, I only connect my phone to my car bluetooth to play music in my car where I obviously control the volume via my car radio.... Now every ten feckin' minutes the volume gets reduced and it's already driving me mad. I thought these people were supposed to be smart?

This is my first and last iPhone, Apples control freak mentality is infuriating.

Jan 12, 2021 3:52 AM in response to kaitnurse

I’m worried about updating my phone at the moment due to this issue. I have an iPhone X and use bone conducting headphones to allow me to still hear what is happening on the roads around me...this means that my overall volume level is already significantly lower. I live in Britain which was in the EU until very recently. If I update, will the volume be reduced even further? If so, I won’t be able to hear it at all on my headphones...I already struggle when traffic goes past! That would be a real pain given that I’m out and listening to music for roughly 30km a day. Can someone from Apple confirm whether this would be the case, and if so, explain why they do not have alternative solutions in place?

Jan 15, 2021 12:47 AM in response to kaitnurse

Hi

Have the same problem. Found that if i Use Apple music on Lock screen, regulate sound level, bluetooth headset volume works at normal level again (sometimes i have to play back music on lock screen and regulate volume). So Apple, please fix this, this needs bugfix from You! Think problem showed up with introduction Apple Music, but not sure (was that introduced in 14.x?). So maybe Apple Music App/iOS team has to look into this.

Forgot: Using Plantronics Voyager UC BT Headset.

KR

Kim

Low Headset volume after IOS 14 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.