Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS14, Siri needs extra permission to run HomeKit Scenes that used to easily run with a single voice command

Since updating to iOS14, all of the really convenient HomeKit scenes, that I created and named so that I could control everything with Siri, now require a confirmation response before running the scene. You can respond verbally or you can click "Yes", but either way it's EXTREMELY ANNOYING to have to take an extra step to run every scene that used to so effortlessly run on your initial commands alone.

I've tried to find settings to allow the scenes to run without asking for permission but can't find anything related in Siri or in Home settings.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to fix it?

Why would Apple do this? I don't want to be required to have an active conversation with specific consent from Siri every time I need to run a scene. Just run the scene when I ask for it.

I'm sure there are other implications of this that I haven't even discovered yet. I sort of get why this is here, because I tried to ask Siri about the weather (or something else similarly benign) one time and it misunderstood and instantly started FaceTiming my boss at 2AM, so consent for something like that makes a lot of sense. But I think when I name a specific scene I have set in my Home by name, that it's pretty safe to say I'd like that scene to run without interruption.

Other things to note:

My girlfriend is added to my Home and has access to the same scenes and has the same problem.

I also saw a Reddit post with other people complaining about the same problem without any resolution suggested here.

The topics for this forum don't have an option for Home or iOS apps that I could find so this category might not be accurate for the question.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 1:08 AM

Update to iOS 14.0.1 and check again please.

Similar questions

1 reply

IOS14, Siri needs extra permission to run HomeKit Scenes that used to easily run with a single voice command

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.