Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling Sound after Update 10.15.7

How can I fixed my MacBook Pro Mid 2015 update this morning to Catalina 10.15.7, after few minutes of watching movies, the left speaker has annoying sound. How to fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 12:43 AM

Similar questions

29 replies

Nov 13, 2020 2:22 PM in response to TobyWilson

The combo update is usually the safest and most reliable. Sometimes when a user updates from say a .2 to a .5 version with just the incremental updater they miss some files that the .3 or .4 might have added. The combo includes all updates from the .1 to whatever it is.

Have you run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac? If so download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Nov 13, 2020 3:58 AM in response to Old Toad

MBP 2019 - Just updated and the same issue. Has anyone applied the Combo Update? I don't want to do it and cause more issues. I had to update to 10.15.7 as there were issues with Airdrop and now it makes it almost impossible to use video calls. Unbelievable that this was mentioned here in September and yet Apple still haven't found a fix!

Catalina has been nothing but trouble - lets hope Big Sur is better!

Nov 14, 2020 10:55 AM in response to kaushik52

after the update to 10.15.7, the left speaker of my macbook pro 201, 3.1 Ghz Quad Core i7, started tot crackle. The right speaker is kind of okay, till i turn up the volume. Than the speaker takes off the high frequencies.

I updated to Big Sur and hoped it helped me out, but it didn't.

I might have blew my speakers, but i really dont know when that should have happened.

Dec 8, 2020 4:24 AM in response to pim245

Same issue for me after upgrading to BigSur. It is unacceptable to have this kind of issue for this very expensive laptop. Apple needs to improve it customer relationship management. It is a shame!

I have tried editing the MIDI settings, tried restarting coreaudiod, the issue persists. I did not have this issue, started experiencing it after and update on MacOS Catalina. I hoped it would be fixed with BigSur, but same situation.

Dec 20, 2020 4:37 PM in response to astalabista

Same issue with Left speaker, just after described herein, after installing Catalina and Big Sur to 2015 Vintage MacBook Pro.

The sound control panel has been modified by Apple in these latest macOS releases and there is obvious trouble with it.

The Speak balance slider was all of the way to the Left when I first looked at it which was odd after install these macOS'

I suspect a flaw. (Hopefully not nefarious) Prior apple software update wrecked my keyboard at one point in the past.

Apple did a recall and I got them to fix it.

Crackling Sound after Update 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.