Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off iCloud photos without deleting photos from my device

I have an iPhone 6s fully up to date on iOS14 and I want to import my photos to my PC (NOT a Mac). However, when I choose to import from my phone I find that roughly 800 photos/videos aren't available to download because they are in the cloud and not on my device.

I have turned off Optimize iPhone Storage and turned on Download and Keep Originals in my iCloud Photos settings, but when I go to turn off iCloud Photos I get a pop up saying that 1,673 full resolution photos and videos haven't been downloaded and if I continue I will lose all of those photos/videos.

Is it just that the photos are still downloading to my phone? I have about 18gb of space left (which should be enough) and I haven't noticed my photo storage getting larger

I am not too certain how to proceed from here, do I just need to wait for the photos to download? How will I know when they are finished downloading?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 9:12 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 3, 2020 5:54 PM in response to m_rider

Hello m_rider,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with downloading Photos from iCloud.

If you are using iCloud for Windows, the photos should automatically download to your PC: Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC - Apple Support

Or, you can download them using your internet browser: Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

This ensures everything in iCloud is saved on your PC prior to making any changes. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Turn off iCloud photos without deleting photos from my device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.