Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Update

Software Update prompts me that an update is available for my Mac. Specifically, the 10.15.7 update and tells me a restart is required. I restart my computer it is a black screen for quite some time... the apple logo pops up for like 2 seconds with a progress bar, but nothing actually gets installed because it goes through the entire restart and when I log in to my computer, the Software Update prompt still tells me I need to restart my computer for the update. Seems like it is stuck/broken and I'm not sure how to fix it. Is there a command I can run in terminal to reset the broken Software Update window in System Preferences? This is like Windows Update level of bad.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 11:43 AM

Hello everyone! I managed to get the update installed! This is what I did. I went to the Apple Support Downloads page and downloaded the .dmg file for the update. Sometimes Apple's auto update thing breaks so this is a good way around that. Apple - Support - Downloads

Here is the specific link to the download as well: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Enjoy!

Similar questions

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 11:43 AM in response to s20004365

Hello everyone! I managed to get the update installed! This is what I did. I went to the Apple Support Downloads page and downloaded the .dmg file for the update. Sometimes Apple's auto update thing breaks so this is a good way around that. Apple - Support - Downloads

Here is the specific link to the download as well: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Enjoy!

Nov 11, 2020 10:27 PM in response to Micus1

I HIGHLY recommend against installing this update. After installing it, my computer fans revved up to a thousand and my machine shut down. Now I cannot boot. I can get to the login screen and then the trackpad stops responding, the fan revs up to maximum and my machine shuts down. I've tried everything I can think of, including Safe Mode, but to no avail. I'm going to have to reinstall the OS, which is extremely irritating.

Sep 29, 2020 12:57 PM in response to Micus1

You maybe correct. My Retina MBA 2018 just experienced the run away accountsd issue. That is even thought I suggested restarting in Safe Mode which I did the day after the Automatic Update 10.15.7 was installed. I my case, Safe Mode did fix the issue for about 2 - 3 days but restarted with it using 150% to 200% of CPU.

Have just used Internet Recovery Mode ( Command + Option + R ) erased the SSD and downloaded Catalina again. Have not yet setup, so not sure if I received 10.15.6 or 10.15.7.

Interesting, did not experience any issues on Old iMac late 2012 with Rotational HD

Oct 6, 2020 11:51 PM in response to ferenc208

Hello Frenc! I would try what P. Phillips posted and restart your computer in Safe Mode. If you already tried that and it doesn’t work, I would consider a clean install of your OS. Definitely backup everything before you attempt to do that. Another option is the Apple Store, but I wouldn’t exactly recommend that now cause of COVID stuff so hopefully one of those other two options works for you! I think Phillip also recommended the Internet Recovery Mode. I’ve never used it and it sounds very similar to doing a clean install of your OS (probably just one of the available restore methods presented to you when you try to do a restore) but it is still an erase and clean install feature so backing up is still advised. I’ve also recently started using my Mac’s Console to figure out solutions to my software problems. I’m no master by any means, but maybe someone else online might be able to help you with utilizing the console to fix software problems like Apple’s automatic updater.

Best of luck to you Frenc!

Micus1

Oct 7, 2020 4:16 AM in response to Micus1

Hey Micus!

Really thanks for the fast reply... since then i tried every her written way, nothing helped for me unfortunately... my mac has needed a real brand new clear installation, i don't know why :D BUT I'm already finished with it so i have the 10.15.7 and almost ready for the settings also :D

Never mind...

Really big thanks for the help!

By

Ferenc

Oct 25, 2020 3:06 PM in response to PRP_53

I had to run recovery mode because my screen was on the user login page with the progress bar not moving. Ran recovery mode, and updated macOS and gave me 10.15.7. Everything seems to be working fine now. But will be keeping an eye on it. Not something I wanted to have to do on a brand new iMac a week after unboxing it

Nov 23, 2020 10:18 AM in response to Micus1

Finally managed to downloads Catalina 10.15.7. If your device keeps asking to restart you need to create more free space on your HD. I removed a load of programmes that were taking space and the update downloaded no issues. It would be helpful if Apple could actually include a message telling you the reason rather than just not downloading

Nov 29, 2020 5:56 PM in response to Micus1

If you don't need to update then stay away from 10.15.7. Tried twice to install it via normal Apple Update and both times it failed. Initial restart on computer to get the upgrade going got me black page w/Apple logo, progress bar stops at about a 10th the distance and installation freezes. Power off, wait, power on and mac recovers. Tried doing the download and using the .dmg installer. Again, the same thing; installation freezes in short order. Except, this time after power off/power on and restarting, mac came back boogered. About this Mac showed 10.15.7 but apparently was not fully installed; don't know what happened. Very slow, lots of beach balls, color messed up and, worst of all, could not restore using Migration and Time Machine; Time Machine hard drive could not be found. Right now using restore function (command / R) and restoring from earlier Time Machine backup. This is a load of crap from Apple; B-team stuff for sure. This is *Exactly* why I left Windows. While Jobs may have been a real SOB to work for, he demanded perfection. The clown running Apple these days ought to take some lessons from Jobs legacy on being an SOB and start demanding perfection instead of releasing garbage like this ...as I type this on my smoothly running Surface Book 2.

Unable to install macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.