Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme keeps dropping

I have had this setup, working well for several years...until now

Connectivity is from Spectrum. Speed test is 150 down and 30 up. Simple Arris modem from Spectrum, no router capability. The AirPort Extreme is the base station/router and as you can see from the picture, everything is wireless from there. Firmware is 7.8.1 on all but the Capsule which is 7.9.1

Issue started a week ago. Every few hours the Wifi drops. I go to the cabinet and the Extreme base station green light is on, the Modem is online. I unplug the Extreme for 20 seconds, it reboots and everything is fine. For a few hours. Spoke to Spectrum who said they 'had not made any changes' though I am not convinced the help desk would know that. They saw the connectivity from their end and the only times they saw a drop was when I had switched off the whole cable modem/router setup to reboot it. Outside of that, they said their connection was stable.

I searched online for advice about IPV6 settings and firm ware but am at a loss.

Help!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2020 2:37 PM

I know this isn't a product recommendation forum but I very much welcome advice on a product which a committed Apple user (lots of iPhones, iPads, Macs and AppleTv's) should like.

I did a long post with too many links to stuff Apple does not allow I guess.. so it was blocked.

I will restrict this to my own setup.

Wireless backhaul systems will always disappoint. In the long run ethernet for sure to everything that does not move including multiple Access Points.. 3 is enough in even very large houses.

Once you have ethernet point in say 2 or 3 strategic points.. you can use any brand of AP you like at whatever price point you are prepared to pay. The big expense is putting in ethernet.. but it is investment.. and will last 25 years or more. Unlike what you plug into it.

IF and only IF you are unable to install ethernet then I would look at Netgear Orbi.. not necessarily latest model. RBK50.

I was using extend wireless with Apple like you and discovered it was causing terrible latency. Made using phone service over internet impossible. So completed full ethernet wiring of the house.

All of the following have been successful.

1 Go Cheap

Buy a disliked but usable recent AC wireless router.. e.g. one locked down by the ISP which sell on eBay etc for $20.

In Australia our largest ISP uses excellent Technicolor routers.. hands them out in massive numbers.. but locks them to their service so are useless when people move to another area and use a different service. They sell them off cheap.. even new for pittance. You need to determine what is best in your world. I use these.. and they are excellent as AP. All for the major sum of $20.

As variation since I test a lot of routers.. I will often use a mix of whatever is available. Once you wire everything and anything can work.

The big limitation on this system is roaming/handoff will be poor. So no issues if you use your phone in one area of the house but if you wander around it may not switch to the nearest AP. This is what is lacking in the Apple system.. so you can wire Apple routers and create a roaming network so called.. but it does not work well. There are a bunch of new standards Apple has included in the clients but not the Airport Routers.. so they clearly planned to exit the router market long before it was announced. 802.11k, v, r if you want to look them up.

2 Go Best

Ubiquiti UAP (controller is useful but not required.)

These are SMB grade AP and not over expensive.

Steep learning curve and definitely worth getting help to install if beyond your ability.

I did buy up all the stuff required.. created a second network to replace the original.. but discovered the ISP I use was not compatible.. I almost burst a blood vessel. The issue has since been fixed.. but it left me swinging.

Always good to research what works in your area with your ISP. One size does not fit all.

Thinking back I would say this is for the enthusiast. Results are excellent.. cost can be high if you run into issues.. need loads of spare time and a will to succeed.

I since discovered the cheaper TP-Link Omada system. Using EAP225 or EAP245 you can setup a good business class system.

It will outmatch any domestic mesh.. with still needing more effort to learn but less than Ubiquiti.

See review here. https://dongknows.com/tp-link-eap245-v3-omada-poe-access-point-review/

I have a set of EAP225 available and put online as needed; as secondary system; as I do too much testing for now.

3 Ordinary mesh

Most mesh products can use ethernet backhaul. Check before you buy. It makes them simple to install and give good performance. Much better than without ethernet. Even cheap systems like TP-Link Deco M5 seem to be best value for money where i live.

My issue with them is needing to sign up to the manufacturer website and use a phone app to configure. you have to figure google and amazon and apple are already tracking your every move.. but handing it to the Chinese manufacturer as well.. gives me shivers. hence I won't use them.

4 Avoid mesh if possible.

For many people in a smallish house .. they don't need mesh.

They need one really top notch wifi router.

I use Asus RT-AC88U.. I commend it as excellent unit. It covers far more area than most products I have tested.

Now I would go RT-AX88U.. or similar top end unit.

The better brands do now include mesh. So for Asus it is AiMesh.. you can buy another AiMesh capable Asus router and simply mesh them together.

Synology RT2600AC which I also have works the same. If you are not getting enough coverage buy another (cheaper) router in the series.

This is really great in that you don't need to start with a pack of 2 or 3 units.

They also support ethernet backhaul.

But they are poorer cf built from ground up mesh units in lots of areas.. so if you want mesh in the first place buy mesh.

It will also turn out expensive.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2020 2:37 PM in response to Airport_Extreme_Issues

I know this isn't a product recommendation forum but I very much welcome advice on a product which a committed Apple user (lots of iPhones, iPads, Macs and AppleTv's) should like.

I did a long post with too many links to stuff Apple does not allow I guess.. so it was blocked.

I will restrict this to my own setup.

Wireless backhaul systems will always disappoint. In the long run ethernet for sure to everything that does not move including multiple Access Points.. 3 is enough in even very large houses.

Once you have ethernet point in say 2 or 3 strategic points.. you can use any brand of AP you like at whatever price point you are prepared to pay. The big expense is putting in ethernet.. but it is investment.. and will last 25 years or more. Unlike what you plug into it.

IF and only IF you are unable to install ethernet then I would look at Netgear Orbi.. not necessarily latest model. RBK50.

I was using extend wireless with Apple like you and discovered it was causing terrible latency. Made using phone service over internet impossible. So completed full ethernet wiring of the house.

All of the following have been successful.

1 Go Cheap

Buy a disliked but usable recent AC wireless router.. e.g. one locked down by the ISP which sell on eBay etc for $20.

In Australia our largest ISP uses excellent Technicolor routers.. hands them out in massive numbers.. but locks them to their service so are useless when people move to another area and use a different service. They sell them off cheap.. even new for pittance. You need to determine what is best in your world. I use these.. and they are excellent as AP. All for the major sum of $20.

As variation since I test a lot of routers.. I will often use a mix of whatever is available. Once you wire everything and anything can work.

The big limitation on this system is roaming/handoff will be poor. So no issues if you use your phone in one area of the house but if you wander around it may not switch to the nearest AP. This is what is lacking in the Apple system.. so you can wire Apple routers and create a roaming network so called.. but it does not work well. There are a bunch of new standards Apple has included in the clients but not the Airport Routers.. so they clearly planned to exit the router market long before it was announced. 802.11k, v, r if you want to look them up.

2 Go Best

Ubiquiti UAP (controller is useful but not required.)

These are SMB grade AP and not over expensive.

Steep learning curve and definitely worth getting help to install if beyond your ability.

I did buy up all the stuff required.. created a second network to replace the original.. but discovered the ISP I use was not compatible.. I almost burst a blood vessel. The issue has since been fixed.. but it left me swinging.

Always good to research what works in your area with your ISP. One size does not fit all.

Thinking back I would say this is for the enthusiast. Results are excellent.. cost can be high if you run into issues.. need loads of spare time and a will to succeed.

I since discovered the cheaper TP-Link Omada system. Using EAP225 or EAP245 you can setup a good business class system.

It will outmatch any domestic mesh.. with still needing more effort to learn but less than Ubiquiti.

See review here. https://dongknows.com/tp-link-eap245-v3-omada-poe-access-point-review/

I have a set of EAP225 available and put online as needed; as secondary system; as I do too much testing for now.

3 Ordinary mesh

Most mesh products can use ethernet backhaul. Check before you buy. It makes them simple to install and give good performance. Much better than without ethernet. Even cheap systems like TP-Link Deco M5 seem to be best value for money where i live.

My issue with them is needing to sign up to the manufacturer website and use a phone app to configure. you have to figure google and amazon and apple are already tracking your every move.. but handing it to the Chinese manufacturer as well.. gives me shivers. hence I won't use them.

4 Avoid mesh if possible.

For many people in a smallish house .. they don't need mesh.

They need one really top notch wifi router.

I use Asus RT-AC88U.. I commend it as excellent unit. It covers far more area than most products I have tested.

Now I would go RT-AX88U.. or similar top end unit.

The better brands do now include mesh. So for Asus it is AiMesh.. you can buy another AiMesh capable Asus router and simply mesh them together.

Synology RT2600AC which I also have works the same. If you are not getting enough coverage buy another (cheaper) router in the series.

This is really great in that you don't need to start with a pack of 2 or 3 units.

They also support ethernet backhaul.

But they are poorer cf built from ground up mesh units in lots of areas.. so if you want mesh in the first place buy mesh.

It will also turn out expensive.

Sep 29, 2020 1:06 PM in response to Airport_Extreme_Issues

Do you happen to have iPad or iPhone updated to iOS14 .. it has a bad habit of knocking out wifi on the Gen5 Airport Extreme. (A1409) That appears to be your main network router as well as one other.. although they could be earlier models. The wifi issues correspond with the time of the problem.

Make sure you load the latest patch version which will stop it. Long thread here about the issue if you want to read it all. Otherwise just start from the last few posts where the issue was solved.. and work backwards.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251827750

I do see other problems.. but if the system has been running well for several years.. I hate to break the news to you.. stuff does not last forever. Those old Extremes are getting on 7-9 years old..

It looks like far too much wireless to me. And your bottom two express appear to have switched allegiance to the wrong airport.. which won't work.

Are the express setup to join a wireless network network? I am guessing that is the case otherwise it would not work.

Apple's extend wireless system only works where you have all extend wireless connected back to the main router. You are expending a lot of wifi bandwidth you know just sustaining all this.

My experience with running 4 or 5 airports is things start to get unstable. And IPv6 set to native was partly to blame.. We suggest people use Link-Local Only as it is not important for the client APs to actually have IPv6 addresses .. they will still pass IPv6 addresses from the main Apple router.

If you continue having issues.. my suggestion is the time for a replacement proper mesh wireless system has come.. the Express can still be used for airplay if you need them.. but in Join a wireless network mode.

As you likely know.. Apple has left the building.

Sep 30, 2020 8:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you, and for being so quick to reply.

I updated phones and iPads to 14.0.1

The reason for having all these express/extremes is they some were used in another property which I then swapped out for Linksys Velop. That was a couple of years ago (and has not been a good experience by the way and I wish I had kept these old Apple products there). Anyhow, I removed the Time Capsule as I didn't even use the backup to it. And the other extreme. And an express that was probably not needed. So now it looks like this.

Both of the Express have the same configuration.

Can you help me with the IPv6 settings. Is your recommendation that I should leave the Extreme base station as IPv6 Auto/Native like this

But change the two express which are extending the network to be Link Local like this

Thank you again

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Sep 29, 2020 3:38 PM in response to Airport_Extreme_Issues

I then swapped out for Linksys Velop. That was a couple of years ago (and has not been a good experience by the way and I wish I had kept these old Apple products there).

Apple has a long term tie up with Belkin which bought Linksys from Cisco. Belkin still sell the Linksys labelled stuff but it is pure Belkin.. a company for which a 10 foot pole is far too short to keep virus spreading to min.

Mesh is the way to go.. but look carefully at what you buy.

And if you own the house.. wire it.. ethernet is just so superior to wifi even with the latest greatest wifi 6 or 6e or anything else people dream up in the next 20 years.

Most of the better mesh will allow ethernet backhaul which hugely improves the results.

And once you go wired you can go pro stuff like ubiquiti or other brands in the pro level market for much the same money.

eg TP-Link omada series AP. It is hugely superior to domestic stuff.

Cutting down your network to just the Airport Extreme and a couple of express is great.

You can keep IPv6 native in the Extreme but yes.. as your last screenshot shows .. IPv6 in the clients should be set to link-local only. Check that clients on wireless from the Express can still pick up IPv6 address .. it should still work fine.

Don't post IPv6 home address because it is likely static. If you still have edit time remove the second last screenshot.. or post a request for Apple mod to remove it.. Not as serious as IPv4 address but still don't want to show the world your home IP.

Oct 1, 2020 11:46 AM in response to Airport_Extreme_Issues

Yes, it is a problem.

The reason is signal. The signal strength from the other Express is better in this location than signal from the Extreme. Once it swaps it will cease working.. although strangely enough the airport utility still picks it up.

Remember this is NOT mesh system.. in a mesh system it is able to work out best path. In this older extend wireless system it can only extend once.. so all extenders must connect to the Extreme. It is usually just a matter of moving things around until the signal from the Extreme is better than the other express.. but it also means the Extreme must be working well and actually producing excellent signal.. which on an Extreme that old is half your problem. A modern AC or AX router would give you hugely better coverage.

Oct 1, 2020 12:28 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you. Clear and very net.

I swapped out exactly this setup in another house for Linksys Velop mesh and I can't tell you how horrible has been the performance. I have spent countless hours trying to improve the setup and now just live with constant dropping and restarting. So I have been bitten by spending $1000's on a 'modern' mesh system. All I want is solid wifi in a reasonable sized house! I'm not a gamer or downloading multiple HD movies at the same time..just solid wifi.

Thank you

airport extreme keeps dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.