Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble pairing bluetooth on a Macbook Air 2020 macOS 10.15.7

Just got my new laptop and I'm have an issue pairing my bluetooth device. If I mess around with it long enough it finally connects, but it's not a reliable connection. My device is repeatedly dropped, and then I have to start the dance all over again.

The device in question here is my Logitech MX Master (1) mouse. Before anyone jumps on the "get a new mouse" bus, let me state that I've been using this mouse with no issues on my 2012 Macbook Air macOS 10.15.6 for at least 4 months now. This issue is only with my new 2020 Macbook Air macOS 10.15.7.

Seeing that the new design got rid of all USB 2 and USB 3 inputs - opting for only 2 USB C inputs with one being the power source - I feel this is a MAJOR issue. It seems to me that Bluetooth is VERY important for connecting accessories.

Would someone in some position of authority please shed some light on this issue. It's very frustrating and it's getting on my last nerve!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 11:49 AM

UPDATE

I found this website (https://macreports.com/mac-bluetooth-not-working-fix/) and gave step number 8 a try. So far it's working. I'll update again if there is any change. If you don't hear back from me, assume all is good.

Remove current Bluetooth preferences then reboot your Mac. Here is how:

1. Close any app that is trying to use Bluetooth device with your Mac
  2. In Finder, press the Command+Shift+G keys together. This will reveal the “Go to the folder:” window, then enter the following and hit go.
  3. /Library/Preferences/ (not ~/Library/Preferences/)
  4. Try the find the “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist” and “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile” files. And delete these files. These files could be corrupted and cause problems. You may be asked for an admin password. (if you want, copy these files to somewhere else as a backup before removing).
  5. Restart your Mac.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2020 11:49 AM in response to SpWargo

UPDATE

I found this website (https://macreports.com/mac-bluetooth-not-working-fix/) and gave step number 8 a try. So far it's working. I'll update again if there is any change. If you don't hear back from me, assume all is good.

Remove current Bluetooth preferences then reboot your Mac. Here is how:

1. Close any app that is trying to use Bluetooth device with your Mac
  2. In Finder, press the Command+Shift+G keys together. This will reveal the “Go to the folder:” window, then enter the following and hit go.
  3. /Library/Preferences/ (not ~/Library/Preferences/)
  4. Try the find the “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist” and “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile” files. And delete these files. These files could be corrupted and cause problems. You may be asked for an admin password. (if you want, copy these files to somewhere else as a backup before removing).
  5. Restart your Mac.

Trouble pairing bluetooth on a Macbook Air 2020 macOS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.