Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Utility program to speed up my iMac

What is a good & safe repair software to use on my iMac? Using MacOSMojave v10.14.6.

My iMac is extremely slow downloading info. I have a trial version of CleanMyMac which trial period has expired. Is it a good reliable software?

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 2:54 PM

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community .  

14 replies

Sep 30, 2020 2:11 PM in response to jeannine199

There is no such thing as a magic bullet. CleanMyMac should be uninstalled immediately, most experienced users consider it malware as all it does is make Mac OS slow, unstable and create some pretty odd behaviors in Mac OS. Mac OS does not require any third party cleaning, antivirus, security or ANY other "maintenance" apps to remain fast and secure. When these types of apps are introduced to Mac OS they offer no additional levels of security or maintenance that Mac OS cannot do itself.

Please do the following:

You can save you and us a lot of time and effort of playing 20 questions if you do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again.

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Oct 1, 2020 12:08 PM in response to jeannine199

BTW, it may help to upgrade the RAM. It still has the original 8GB which is considered the bare minimum to run current versions of Mac OS. I would recommend that you buy 16 GB (2 x 8GB DIMMS) of either Crucial.com or MacSales.com RAM. Installing RAM is fairly inexpensive and super easy to install. This upgrade would increase the RAM from 8GB to 24GB.

Utility program to speed up my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.