Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on erase screen

I have commenced the erase process and it has not completed. Stuck on apple screen with progress bar almost complete for a few hours - forced shutdown will not work. Is there anything I can do?

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 2, 2020 8:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 6:34 AM

I have commenced the erase process and it has not completed. Stuck on apple screen with progress bar just begun - forced shutdown will not work. Is there anything I can do?

16 replies

Oct 8, 2020 11:28 AM in response to 001Lisey

Hello there 001Lisey,

We'd like to see how we can help with your iPhone. We use our iPhones daily and can understand the concern when it isn't working properly.

We'd like to ask a couple questions just to clarify the issue.

Why did you start the erase process? Was this due to a software issue or were you guided to restore the iPhone?

How are you erasing the iPhone? Are you restoring the iPhone as new using this process: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings or are you using this process: How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let us know the results, we look forward to continue working with you.

Oct 23, 2020 11:59 PM in response to 001Lisey

I have a similar issue. Just purchased iPhone 12, a truly great phone. I want to pass on my XS to my son, so I started “Erase all contents and settings” from Settings -> General -> Reset. All started out looking fine, but the phone got stuck with approximately 2 mm left in the erase progress bar... :-( Have been so now for 12 hours+. I have obviously tried the usual ones pressing the volume up/down/large buttons in proper order. Also tried to connect to iTunes on PC by USB: it recognizes the phone but requires me to enable access on the phone before proceeding... obviously not an option... :-(

I am out of ideas - just waiting for the device to run out of battery, hoping that will lead to a possible recovery... but that can take days as the device may not consume much power right now - appears to be ice-cold... Help, please!

Mar 5, 2021 5:44 AM in response to darrenfromwaterford

This worked for me! I was stuck at 90% loading and I tried holding down the power button and volume up bottom together but nothing changed.

Then tried your method of pressing volume up, volume down, then holding down the power button and my iPhone XS turned off successfully. On restart it went back to the progress screen but quickly loaded and went to the new phone screen (the erase process had completed). Cheers

Mar 6, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Zahra Knights

Tried to erase all on my iPhone X, loaded up to 90% and it was stuck there for a few hours.

Tried resetting the phone by pressing and holding the side button and volume up, no response. Tried the above method, press volume up, press volume down, press and hold side button, and it worked.

Phone turned off and back on and started loading again. Everything successfully erased.

Stuck on erase screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.