Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"your bootable usb drive could not be created" issue when trying to run boot camp assistant

I have downloaded the latest windows disk image from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

I am using a new SanDisk 32GB USB drive where the windows install setup should be saving. However, I get the following error:

"Your bootable usb drive could not be created. There is not enough space available on the disk." There should be enough space as it's a new empty 32GB drive and the boot camp requirement is only for 16GB.

How do I resolve this error so that I can install Windows on my Mac?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 4:15 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 4, 2020 2:06 AM in response to Loner T

What is the current version of macOS? High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G14033)

What is the name of the W10 ISO? Win10_2004_English_x64

It is an old mac, mid 2012 macbook pro. The software is up to date.

I read that there is an issue with the more recent ISOs so I downloaded an older version and still had the same error: Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64

Is there an even older version of the ISO that I should try? This is the oldest one that I could find on this website https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php.

Is there anything else that should solve this?

Oct 4, 2020 9:15 PM in response to rcwhiteley

It is not a total disk space issue. The file system used to build the installer has a limit on the largest file it can handle.

FAT (16-bit and 32-bit) only support individual files smaller than 4GB.

exFAT can support individual files larger than 4GB.

W10 1903 have one specific file which is larger than 4GB, not the whole ISO.

"your bootable usb drive could not be created" issue when trying to run boot camp assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.