Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjusting Resting Energy

I love my new Apple Watch 3. I have had other fines trackers, and find that the resting calories are much lower on this. Did some additional research and would like to adjust my baselines on the Apps to reflect a new amount (for example, Apple Apps and watch showing 1,400 resting energy, and I want it to be 1850). Is there a way to permanently set this new amount?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 6

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 12:39 PM

The resting energy figure is based off the details that you entered in your health profile in the apple watch app,such as weight,height,gender,age etc.

It is not adjustable.

Resting calories are a generality in apps. Resting calories vary with composition. Fat burns less calories than lean tissue, lean tissue burns more than fat tissue.

Resting calories of people with identical weight would be higher for the person with less body fat.

Apple’s concept of “resting energy” does not correspond strictly to standard BMR the “resting energy” calories isn’t meant to be BMR but is based on the “non-workout” activity we do on a given day

Based on apples description of what resting energy is in the health app, it sounds like it is not traditional BMR, it sounds like they are just estimating non high activity calories burned based on heart rate. So this would be any activity not strenuous enough for Apple Watch to classify it as active heart rate.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Masmith412

The resting energy figure is based off the details that you entered in your health profile in the apple watch app,such as weight,height,gender,age etc.

It is not adjustable.

Resting calories are a generality in apps. Resting calories vary with composition. Fat burns less calories than lean tissue, lean tissue burns more than fat tissue.

Resting calories of people with identical weight would be higher for the person with less body fat.

Apple’s concept of “resting energy” does not correspond strictly to standard BMR the “resting energy” calories isn’t meant to be BMR but is based on the “non-workout” activity we do on a given day

Based on apples description of what resting energy is in the health app, it sounds like it is not traditional BMR, it sounds like they are just estimating non high activity calories burned based on heart rate. So this would be any activity not strenuous enough for Apple Watch to classify it as active heart rate.

Adjusting Resting Energy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.