Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USBC to USBC splitter to pass through video

I have a MacBook Pro with 2 USBC ports. I want to use one port for Hard wired incoming internet and split the remaining port to run 2 monitors. Is there a splitter or hub available to achieve this?. The monitors each have male USBC plugs. The only splitters I have found will not pass-through video. Thanks.

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 6:18 AM

USB-C cannot be 'split' in that way. However, it can be daisy-chained if your monitors support that (i.e., plug monitor 2 into monitor 1, and plug monitor 1 into your Mac). That would be the best option.

Alternatively, you can get a dock which supports dual displays. Avoid the ones on Amazon in the $50-100 range, they don't actually support dual displays though they claim to (what they do is show the same image on both your external displays). Look for a dock from Brydge (Stone Pro), Elgato, OWC, Belkin or Kensington. With any of the docks, you'll still need to connect one of the displays via something other than USB-C (e.g. DisplayPort, meaning you may need an adapter). For example, with my Elgato dock I have one display connected directly via DisplayPort and the second via a USB-C to HDMI adapter (the displays are older, not USB-C).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2020 6:18 AM in response to Presitla

USB-C cannot be 'split' in that way. However, it can be daisy-chained if your monitors support that (i.e., plug monitor 2 into monitor 1, and plug monitor 1 into your Mac). That would be the best option.

Alternatively, you can get a dock which supports dual displays. Avoid the ones on Amazon in the $50-100 range, they don't actually support dual displays though they claim to (what they do is show the same image on both your external displays). Look for a dock from Brydge (Stone Pro), Elgato, OWC, Belkin or Kensington. With any of the docks, you'll still need to connect one of the displays via something other than USB-C (e.g. DisplayPort, meaning you may need an adapter). For example, with my Elgato dock I have one display connected directly via DisplayPort and the second via a USB-C to HDMI adapter (the displays are older, not USB-C).

Oct 9, 2020 5:58 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Almost there.... I have obtained the USBC to DP cable and daisy chained the 2 external monitors. The external monitors work but only mirror each other. The Dell instructions say I must "ensure the last monitor in the daisy chain has DispayPort 1.2 mode disabled." How is that done? Also, the "mirror displays" box is not checked. thanks so much for your assistance.

USBC to USBC splitter to pass through video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.