Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For those with Apple TV Sign in Problems

I'm posting here because I spent hours searching forums and finding many people with this exact same problem, and I found a solution that worked for me. I'm copying and pasting the problem that another user so eloquently posted:

**THE PROBLEM**
When I try to sign in to Apple TV + on my Roku, I am unable to.

If I choose "Sign in Mobile Device," it says "Verification Failed. There were errors signing you in. Wait a moment, then try again." But this message occurs before I am given the chance to see the QR code or choose to sign in on a different device. It's weird that it tells me there were errors signing in, because it doesn't even let me get that far.
If I choose "Sign in on this TV," after I type in my Apple ID and password, I get the spinning circle, and it just spins for minutes without ever successfully logging in or failing.

**THE BACKGROUND**
I added the Apple TV + app to my Roku a few days ago. I signed up for the free trial. There were definitely some issues getting the Roku to recognize that I had signed up on my phone, but after a few tries, it worked, and I watched few episodes successfully.

The next day I tried to watch again, but the Apple TV + app kept telling me that I needed to sign up for a free trial, and that I had no subscriptions to manage. But when I checked my phone, I had the free trial. So I uninstalled Apple TV +, cleared the cache on Roku, re-installed Apple TV +, and still it could not find my subscription when I logged in.

So I figured, what the hey, just get the year subscription, and maybe the change in subscription status will go through. So I did, at which point I re-installed Apple TV + again, only now, after paying for the year subscription, I COULD NOT EVEN SIGN IN.

Again, I un-installed the app, cleared the Roku cache, re-installed, and still the problem persists.

**WHAT I HAVE TRIED**
Uninstalling Apple TV +, clearing the cache on my Roku, unplugging the Roku from the power source, the ethernet, and the TV for a few minutes, reconnecting everything, and re-adding the Apple TV + channel. I have done this more times than is sane.
Everything listed here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Apple-TV-channel-Login-Failure/td-p/515599
Contacting Roku support. They say this: "If that still isn't resolving the issue, you'll need to contact Apple Support directly for additional help. We don't have the ability to assist with login issues for 3rd party channels on the Roku platform—these authentication mechanisms are managed by each channel provider directly. They will be able to investigate and provide additional help for that type of issue."

I ran into this exact same problem.

I tried everything people suggested.

Then I unplugged my TCL Roku TV. Yep- I literally just unplugged it, let it sit for 60 seconds, and plugged it back in.

Once I did that (likely combined with having previously deleted the app) I was able to open the Apple TV app and go to the sign in screen and choose sign in using mobile or sign in directly on the TV.

It worked like a charm.

I just hope that this post helps someone else.

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 5:13 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 8, 2020 7:03 PM in response to TheLittles

Hi TheLittles!

I happily would- but I found the answer just by trying it out myself. I had a notion that the issue was an authentication related error that was tied to the TV itself, so I just decided to unplug it and let it sit for a bit before plugging it back in. This is similar to other troubleshooting I do on a daily basis.

That being said, I found the very eloquently written question by user rezelscheft which was found on this thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251475544

For those with Apple TV Sign in Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.