Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing on OS 10.6

After the recent update on 10.15.7 on my Mac Pro the printer won't work anymore and HP have no updates.

My old Mac Book that is not connected to the internet has OS 10.6, but the printer still works with this computer. When I print as MS Word document converted to a pdf from this computer it prints out at around 70% size.

Is there a means to print from the Mac Book that has OS 10.6 at the size it appears on the Mac Book Pro?

I tried unsuccessfully to find a program that allows printing of MS Word documents and pdfs without having MS word installed.

Are there any apps that can print MS word docs that can be downloaded on the Mac Book Pro and transferred via an external drive to the computer running OS 10.6?

Any ideas welcome. Thank you

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 12:24 PM

>I am using a HP Deskjet 3050 5610 and the HP site show no software updates from the version that is installed.

A quick check on the HP (US) support site shows HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg (572.4 MB) with release date Aug 4, 2020, for macOS 10.15 (and some earlier versions), for both HP Deskjet 3050 All-in-One Printer series - J610 and HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer. You mentioned that the printing problem started with 10.15.7 (What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina - Apple Support September 24, 2020).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 12:24 PM in response to Memoire

>I am using a HP Deskjet 3050 5610 and the HP site show no software updates from the version that is installed.

A quick check on the HP (US) support site shows HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg (572.4 MB) with release date Aug 4, 2020, for macOS 10.15 (and some earlier versions), for both HP Deskjet 3050 All-in-One Printer series - J610 and HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer. You mentioned that the printing problem started with 10.15.7 (What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina - Apple Support September 24, 2020).

Oct 12, 2020 7:10 AM in response to Memoire

Hi,

You may want to investigate whether, for example, LibreOffice (libreoffice.org) could be worth testing on the Mac OS X 10.6 MacBook. One would have to look for an early version in the download archive (there is a note under System Requirements: LibreOffice 4.3 can still run on OS X 10.6+, but please understand that this support ended when 4.3 was retired on May 27, 2015).

If necessary, you can convert (Save As) documents to another appropriate file format (lowest common denominator) on the macOS 10.15 Mac Book Pro before transfers.

There may be other solutions as well. Which exact HP printer model are you using?

Oct 12, 2020 8:22 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you for the reply Jan, much appreciated.

Yes, I searched about for programs similar to MS Word that would run on OS 10.6, I did look for a version of LibreOffice that would run on 10.6 on the App Store and their site at that time; I checked the Libre site again but couldn't find LibreOffice 4.3 just now.

I also have tried to find the free cut down version of MS Word that is intended to just to print MS Word Docs, MS site has a version for Windows but not the Mac anymore.

Unfortunately, I did have a version of MS Word on the Old Mac Book but the HD crashed completely due to heat stress, I restored the HD by doing a 32 pass format and it now operates fine and reinstalled the OS - I hadn't backup that computer. The Mac OS 10.6 computer would only install the OS if WiFi was not selected, so Wifi is not working on that computer!

I talked to MS but they can't find any reference to the previous paid download from their site some 12 years ago - they could only find the download for the version I use on the Mac Book Pro.

I am using a HP Deskjet 3050 5610 and the HP site show no software updates from the version that is installed. I have a stock of B/W and colour cartridges that costed in excess of a new printer; so if I can continue to use the current printer it would be ideal.

I will try to save documents on the lowest setting of MS Word; but the problem also exists with pdfs, so the issue may be more complexed than I imagined.

Thank you

Oct 12, 2020 11:32 AM in response to Memoire

Anything here?

https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

(a link from https://libreoffice.org/download/download/).

The latest 4.3 version appears to 4.3.7.2 ( -> mac/ ->x86/ or ->x86_64/ -> ).

I have not tested this on a Mac, so that version may or may not be OK for your MacBook and Mac OS X 10.6. The first (large) .dmg file would probably be the one of interest. Look upon this as an experiment.

Oct 16, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you for the reply Jan. I logged into my HP account but it no longer recognises my printer unit code number. Also I couldn't find the HP Deskject 3050 series 5610 - it's a model purchased in Europe.

I Downloaded the version that you mentioned and will install and check it it works tomorrow.

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated.

Printing on OS 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.