Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone still rings when silent switch is on

My iPhone 11 Pro Max is running iOS 14.0.1. I always keep my phone with the switch on the side in silent mode, since I always wear my Apple Watch in silent mode. Both the watch and the phone are set to vibrate on a call.

The last few days I’ve noticed that my phone now rings on an incoming call. The silent switch is still turns on and I don’t hear any other sounds such as when texting. If I turn the silent switch off, I’ll hear the sounds for texting. If I turn the silent switch back on, I will still hear a ring on incoming calls. I’ve powered the phone off and on again and still have the same issue. I’ve run the phone and watch in this setup for the last year without an issue. Trying to figure out why the phone rings now no matter what. I could turn the ringer all the way down, but isn’t that what the dielectric switch in the side is supposed to instantly accomplish? Is this a bug with iOS 14? Thanks.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, 14

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 4:25 PM

Check your contacts that are ringing through and see if they are set as Emergency Bypass On for Ringtone and Text Tone in the individual’s contact edit screen. I had this set way back when for important select individuals only and now that I think about it, the feature has only seemed to work on the new IOS14. So I was definitely surprised and confused the first time it happened with my phone on silent. Hope this helps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 4:25 PM in response to steevr

Check your contacts that are ringing through and see if they are set as Emergency Bypass On for Ringtone and Text Tone in the individual’s contact edit screen. I had this set way back when for important select individuals only and now that I think about it, the feature has only seemed to work on the new IOS14. So I was definitely surprised and confused the first time it happened with my phone on silent. Hope this helps.

iPhone still rings when silent switch is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.