Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook's Mail program started messing up Gmail's SMTP settings.

I recently began having problems with apple Mail working with gmail, particularly with its outgoing mail server. One may notice that the server information fully displayed on generic email accounts in the apple Mail settings, are mostly missing from Gmail's, probably because they think you don't have to see all of that because it fills all that in automatically.

But recently I don't think the information provided automatically for the smtp server is correct. No matter when I try to select for the Outgoing Mail Account field in my preferences, it keeps resetting to "none" in my preferences, and doesn't show any error message.

By the way, I can do fine with gmail on the google website.

Should I try to install the gmail account into Mail as a generic email account with all the correct server information for a gmail account, rather than trying to select "Google" and rely on it's glitchy automated settings?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 7:33 AM

Yes give that a try.

1 reply

Macbook's Mail program started messing up Gmail's SMTP settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.