Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

low brightness after unlocking.

Hello! There was a problem on my iPhone (11 pro max) and my wife's iPhone (11 pro) after updating to iOS 14! When unlocking the iPhone, the screen brightness is low, even when it is forced to the maximum value. After re-locking and unlocking the screen, the brightness of the screen works correctly. The problem appears sporadically. No specific scenarios can be identified. No background applications are running. Before the update, everything worked correctly and I faced such a problem for the first time.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 12:40 AM

My girlfriend has an iPhone XS and the exact same issue has started with iOS14. Sometimes, when turning on the screen with the power button, the brightness is very low, even though her setting is at like 90%. She has to press the power button to turn off the screen and then press again to turn it on and then the brightness is back at good levels. This was working fine before iOS14. It happens randomly and is very annoying.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 12:40 AM in response to dmitriy170

My girlfriend has an iPhone XS and the exact same issue has started with iOS14. Sometimes, when turning on the screen with the power button, the brightness is very low, even though her setting is at like 90%. She has to press the power button to turn off the screen and then press again to turn it on and then the brightness is back at good levels. This was working fine before iOS14. It happens randomly and is very annoying.

Oct 18, 2020 11:47 AM in response to dmitriy170

Hi there dmitriy170,

We understand you're having an intermittent issue with the brightness on the iPhone being dimmed when unlocking it. We can understand wanting to have it at the intended setting, and we'd be happy to assist.

Let's take a look into some settings to see if we can get that isolated. Head to Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size, and see if Auto-Brightness is enabled. If it isn't, check to see if True Tone is enabled in Settings > Display & Brightness. We have some information on this here that may help:

Adjust the brightness on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care.

Oct 18, 2020 12:04 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hello! All of these settings are activated and have never been changed. The problem appeared right after the iOS 14 update. When the screen is re-locked, the brightness works well again! This can happen several times a day. This behavior of brightness is not only on my device, but also on my wife. Again, everything worked fine before the update to iOS 14!

Oct 18, 2020 7:38 PM in response to dmitriy170

Hey dmitriy170,

Thanks for checking on those settings. With True Tone enabled, this may be affecting the brightness of the display. It looks like the screenshot of Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size may be cropped off. If Auto-Brightness is on at the very bottom, this would affect it as well. Try turning off both of those settings, and let us know if you still have the same issue afterwards.

Take care.

Nov 18, 2020 10:52 PM in response to dmitriy170

I am currently experiencing exactly the same issue on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have not attempted to turn off True Tone as yet however I will. But I must stress that if this works it is not really a solution and merely a temporary work around, so it would be appreciated if someone from apple could acknowledge this as a known issue and confirm that the issue will be addressed.

Dec 5, 2020 9:03 PM in response to dmitriy170

Same happens with me, I directly purchased device with iOS14, so cannot distinguish when it started happening.

at first i thought i lost the display here, but locking the screen and turning it on again solved the issue, but it happened again.

I don’t find a root cause in this thread, Apple please resolve this, it gives a dilution that something’s wrong with the phone.

low brightness after unlocking.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.