You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will magnetic mounts affect Magsafe on new iPhones

I have seen the new i phone 12 pro max the case and wirless chargers run on a magnet connection. I am pre ordering the phone as soon as it comes out but in my car i have a phone holder that requires a magnetic sticker to be stuck on the back of the phone i was wondering would this effect the use of the mag safe charger and phone case

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 12:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 5:22 PM

Here’s my experience, I’m using Joyroom car magnetic mount, and it works without the magnetic piece, meaning the MagSafe ring attaches to the device without adding another magnet.

Adding another magnet, will not allow you to charge your device through a MagSafe charger.

70 replies

Nov 10, 2020 10:58 AM in response to Ethammond

i figured out a solution kinda- the built-in magnet in the iphone 12 pro is not strong enough for the car mounts. you need to use the thin magnet in between the phone and the case. but it interferes with wireless charging if the magnet is directly over center. so I placed the thin magnet towards the bottom instead of the middle and everything seems to be fine (didn't stick it, just put it in between the phone and case and it stays.. but either way). it also works a bit above center to the side of the camera lenses you just gotta play around with it. peace

Oct 23, 2020 4:25 PM in response to SlapChop

I have several of the adhesive magnetic patches on my families iPhones.

With receipt of the iPhone 12, I was under the assumption the 12 would automatically work with the magnetic mounts with root the need for the metal adhesive patches.

I have an aftermarket case for the 12 (thin), and with it on or off, the magnetic attraction is weak.

The phone will easily fall off my current magnetic stands with normal driving.

This is unfortunate.

Oct 28, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Ethammond

I just received my new silicone MagSafe case, put my 12 pro in it and attempted to add it onto my Magnet Mount car charger...Not even close to being a strong enough attraction. I need to now find out if it would be harmful to add the physical magnet that came with the Magnet Mount (which I used on my prior iPhone model) so that I can drive with my new phone securely attached. Adding magnets to a phone and a case that already have a magnet seems risky somehow...

Nov 21, 2020 11:47 PM in response to Deeks12

The charging time seems to be slower, but I am not sure if I am unknowingly damaging little by little either the MagSafe chargers or the phone itself...

I bought the iPhone 12 mini, so weight is not an issue and so far it holds firm in the car attached to the MagSafe.

I came out with another solution.. Used a cable hook (see attached), inserted the thin but strong hook/hand between the dashboard and the A/C vent. Stick the rectangular part into the MagSafe.. So far this looks great. you only see the circular MagSafe on the dashboard and the finish is perfect.

Oct 18, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Ethammond

Just a guess here, but if the Belkin vent mount that is specifically made for MagSafe is strong enough to hold it, then I would think your average car mount magnet (that probably covers more surface area) should hold it to. I am hoping this is true as well. Will be great to use wireless charging and my magnetic mount in my car without having to take my phone out of it’s case.

https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-WIC002/

Oct 26, 2020 9:28 AM in response to lyle gray

I’ve had it for 2 days now. Here’s my take, the magnet does work to some extent. However, the phone is heavy and could potentially move and fall (hasn’t happened). To be safe, I am adding an additional magnet for more security. To answer the question; yes the phone 12 pro magnet itself works for a magnetic phone car mount. With the magnet the phone charges just fine.

Will magnetic mounts affect Magsafe on new iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.