Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to send text messages (including to non apple phones) and unable to activate imessage using phone number

I have an iPhone 8 on Belong (telstra Australia) network that is suddenly unable to send normal text messages to any phones including to non iphones. I have over time experienced temporary issues where I get the red exclamation but usually that corrects itself and I'm able to send texts again.

I can send imessages (using email/apple ID) but cannot activate imessage linked to my phone number I always get an activation error when attempting to activate imessage in this way. I cannot set it to send and recieve from my phone number, only my email.

So far I have done the following:

• Restart Phone activate and deactivating imessage many times.
  • Try a different simcard. The new simcard works no problem, it activates imessage linked to the new phone number so I know its not the phone that's the issue
  • Updated to latest IOS 14.0.1 from ios 13.5
  • Reset Network Settings
  • Signed out of all other apple devices
  • Attempted to deregister my phone number on apple website to try and reactivate but it says my phone number is NOT registered for imessage...which I agree with, I cannot switch to it in message settings it says activation error.

My internet 3g/4g works fine. I can RECIEVE text messages but cannot reply to them (red exclamation).

I'm out of options. I am considering porting to a new phone provider to see if that would help.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 12:51 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 15, 2020 12:57 AM in response to sam7wise

The issue since you are not able to send SMS to non Apple Customers, hence you are not able to activate iMessage even.

Note:

Criteria: For activating iMessage, you need one-time SMS messaging service (If you have one, skip this) to be activated on your phone number. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this (for iMessage activation only) SMS.

If you have dual SIM then each time you switch plan between one number with another for iMessages this activation will be charged by your carrie. See the section :- Send Message with iMessage and SMS/MMS it is clearly said; additional charges may apple.

Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) The agency who issued the SIM to you to know whether you have SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS

See the pic below

4 Step Process --> Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime (The order / sequence is very important)

1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
  3. Restart your device.
  4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on. (Watch the GIF below)

Oct 15, 2020 4:39 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your response. I am able to receive sms messages including from Apple. I am unable to send them though.

I have followed your instructions many times and have done so again to show the outcome which is failed activation - eventually iMessage is able to activate but it only lets me use my Apple ID email address not my phone number. See screen shot

Unable to send text messages (including to non apple phones) and unable to activate imessage using phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.