Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.0.1 onboard speakers/ volume button and volume slider bug (atleast I think it’s a bug)

So I recently got this iPhone X secondhand. It’s a 256 gb model and it does has a spot on the display where the oled screen had a defect because I see no cracks or anything but that’s not the issue I’m just giving info on the phone so I won’t have to answer as many questions later.

So in this thread I’m going to include screenshots at the bottom to help explain my predicament so please open those when you finish reading my whole thread. So here are the issues after updating to iOS 14.0.1. I only had it for a few minutes on 14.0 before it auto updated so I wasn’t able to test to see if that issue was around beforehand on that version.

1) No sound is produced from the earpiece or speaker in the bottom of the phone but I’m almost completely sure this isn’t a hardware issue due to how the volume button and slider act.

2) I am unable to adjust volume with the volume button or volume slider in the pull down menu on my iPhone X in iOS 14.0.1 unless I have headphones plugged in with the included earbuds or lightning to 3.5 mm headphone adapter. Like I am only able to adjust the slider with the headphones and the volume buttons only show the volume bar with headphones. This means my volume button is 100% functional. The buttons also still work for putting it into recovery mode and hard rebooting. The slider on the other hand will either show volume set to half when when I first turn on the phone or it’ll say maxed out. When I try to use the slider without headphones it will sometimes actually move aslong as I used headphones beforehand. But if I don’t it’s either stuck at half or at full.

I am unsure on what to do due to me not being sure when this will be resolved in a update and if it can actually be resolved. I am currently unable to use my phone at all due to this. So that’s why I have no sim in it.

The screenshots show that the buttons work with headphones and that the slider works. It’s hard to explain.

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 7:01 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 16, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Blue-Clue

Who hit solved I still got my issue. I mean yes I’ve made sure that isn’t set to mute. When I hit the volume buttons without headphones nothing appears on screen. The slider in the pull down menu doesn’t work either. Like absolutely nothing will appear on screen when hitting the volume buttons without headphones. The slider also doesn’t function. I tried assistive touch and it won’t adjust at all using that method of raising the volume with that it’ll just sit on half.

Oct 16, 2020 7:30 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Maybe I hit solved by accident. T-T I just don’t think it’s a hardware issue and it’s a software based issue. I also have that setting set to on. Also responding to Lawrence I was able to restore. Without a sim using my laptop and iTunes. It worked without a sim. Like am I thinking of the wrong restore method? Also I never saw it say something like that anywhere online about the chip being the issue but that could make sense. I checked lots of sites and videos so idk. Well if that’s the issue and that’s possible then sh**. Thank you both for your feedback I guess I can try to return it or send it to apple but idk how they act due to it being a used phone and I’m not the original owner. The original owner say they didn’t have the issue before hand so I thought it must be a software bug but yeah idk.

Oct 16, 2020 7:30 AM in response to Blue-Clue

I have to agree with my friend Lawrence here. It is looking more like a hardware issue. And by your own admission, you have a used iPhone X, so you don't know what it's been through since it was first put in service. If you send it to Apple, they'll offer you an Out of Warranty replacement for about 60% of the cost of the phone when new. To be honest, I wouldn't spend that much money when you can buy a brand new phone for not much more.

Oct 16, 2020 7:37 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Well thanks to both of you for spending some of you time giving feedback. I guess I can contact apple but I can already guess that it’ll probably cost alot to fix if they could actually fix it. Because if it’s a chip they’ll replace the whole board or speaker assembly. Quick question if I send it is it possible to request for them to not fix certain things to keep the cost down or no? Because Face ID is non functional but I knew about that before hand and I don’t really need it. But I’m guessing they automatically fix everything so idk. This is my first modern iPhone and the only one I’ve ever had issues with so I have no clue. I’m guessing $600 or more dollars. Sh**

Oct 16, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Blue-Clue

Apple won't fix the phone given the issues. They'll almost assuredly only offer an Out of Warranty replacement, which as I mentioned, to me would NOT be worth the investment.

Sorry

Ps: You mention FaceID isn't working and you knew that going in. It's very common for FaceID to know work on iPhones where the front screen was replaced with aftermarket parts. If that is the case with your phone, Apple wouldn't touch it at all. It's even questionable if they would offer an out of warranty replacement for a phone which may have unauthorized parts in it.

iOS 14.0.1 onboard speakers/ volume button and volume slider bug (atleast I think it’s a bug)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.