Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing music on iPad

When I open home sharing on my IPad I can see it syncing with my Mac but when it finishes Apple Music ends and it returns to the home screen. I have no problem with my iPhone

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 6:25 AM

Solved. Thanks to MacFormat 356 September 20 and their Apple Music Guide. The solution seemed to be to physically connect the device and thereafter home sharing worked. I also added the iTunes Remote which establishes a link to the library. That may have helped.

3 replies

Oct 20, 2020 3:58 PM in response to clarkde

Hello clarkde and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty accessing a Music or iTunes library set up with Home Sharing from your iPad.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

If you reopen the Music app on the iPad and go to Library, do you see an entry called Shared Libraries there?

Are you also using the Sync Library feature?

Cheers.

Oct 21, 2020 3:43 AM in response to jeremy_v

I see Home Sharing and it is clicking on that that fails. This appears to be a known problem. See this article from Macworld https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ios-136-breaks-home-sharing-for-music-app-3794510/ and the forum discussions here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251707978. For me there appear to be different problems with different devices.

iPhone with iOS 14.0.1 The library appears to load but no tracks play. One track came up with the message “You do not have permission to play this track” even though I could play it on the Mac

iPad with iPadOS 13.7 it is failing to launch as originally described.

iPad with iPadOS 14.1 which has jus been upgraded I am getting the message “Unable to turn on home sharing”

Until these recent upgrades home sharing was working. Is Apple trying to force people over to Sync Library? Effectively this has turned off the ability to listen to your ripped CDs

Home sharing music on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.