You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail Reset to Default

Having run Disk Clean Pro AppleMail seems to have reset to default. There are no mailboxes and no mail or accounts and I am unable to create an account as the + and - buttons are greyed out regardless of which 'Account' I try and select. Preferences too is greyed out. Any clues how to restore previous settings. I have Time Machine back ups and have Mailboxes exported and can receive e ail on other devices.

Thanks

Chris

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 1:22 PM

I'm not quite sure what "back up from any back ups" means. To restore your Mac follow Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support. Follow the instructions to restore both the Mac operating system (macOS) and all your files. You will need to find a backup date prior to the corruption.

4 replies

Oct 17, 2020 6:21 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you. I did ask Apple and they advised doing a re-install of the OS (Restart > Hold Control R > Select Reinstall) which I did but this did not solve the issue which was escalated. I would love to explain what the call support expert talked me through but there were a number of files I had to delete from well inside the OS. I have had a number of problems with Applemail that do not occur with Thunderbird. In the end I did not have to to restart from a Time Machine Back up but looking at some of the files in my system they must have been transferred over from old machines when I had the iMac set up.

Apple mail Reset to Default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.