Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download fitness data from iphone?

Is there anyway to download fitness data from the iphone Activity app? I would like to get collect my run data from my iPhone. I have been using an Apple Watch on all my runs.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 12:51 PM

Hi PsyDye,

The 2nd link helped and got me 50% of the way there, but there's still a problem. I just want a simple miles per run along with the date and time.

Instead, I was only able to get a file called HKQuantityTypeIdentifierDistanceWalkingRunning.csv but it records the distance every second. So to find out how far I ran, I would have to add up all the distances for all the seconds during the run. It's surprising that apple doesn't make run data more easily available to users.

- - - - - - - - -

For anyone interested, here is what I went through to get to the health files!

I exported health data from the iphone Health app using these steps

• In the Health app on the iphone, I tapped my profile picture at the top right.
  • Tap Export all health data
    • it took my iphone 5 minutes to bring up an export dialog box
    • This created an 68MB export.zip file which I airdropped to my mac.
    • Unzipping the export file created an apple_health_export folder
  • The export.xml file was 904 MB
    • it could not be opened by excel, word, or xcode
    • Eric Wolter's webpage took about 5 mins to convert the export.xml file to a myriad of csv files including
      • HKQuantityTypeIdentifierDistanceWalkingRunning.csv
      • which I can't use as is 😢😢

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 12:51 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi PsyDye,

The 2nd link helped and got me 50% of the way there, but there's still a problem. I just want a simple miles per run along with the date and time.

Instead, I was only able to get a file called HKQuantityTypeIdentifierDistanceWalkingRunning.csv but it records the distance every second. So to find out how far I ran, I would have to add up all the distances for all the seconds during the run. It's surprising that apple doesn't make run data more easily available to users.

- - - - - - - - -

For anyone interested, here is what I went through to get to the health files!

I exported health data from the iphone Health app using these steps

• In the Health app on the iphone, I tapped my profile picture at the top right.
  • Tap Export all health data
    • it took my iphone 5 minutes to bring up an export dialog box
    • This created an 68MB export.zip file which I airdropped to my mac.
    • Unzipping the export file created an apple_health_export folder
  • The export.xml file was 904 MB
    • it could not be opened by excel, word, or xcode
    • Eric Wolter's webpage took about 5 mins to convert the export.xml file to a myriad of csv files including
      • HKQuantityTypeIdentifierDistanceWalkingRunning.csv
      • which I can't use as is 😢😢

Oct 20, 2020 5:36 PM in response to mjlee

Hey mjlee,

From your post, we understand that you're looking to export your fitness data from the Activity app. You're able to export this data, and it's exported in XML format. Take a look at the following guides for details on collecting and exporting that data:

Collect health and fitness data in Health on iPhone

Share health and fitness data in Health on iPhone

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a wonderful day!

how to download fitness data from iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.