Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to set up email as an IMAP account but the setup process seems to default to POP. How do i change this?

I want to set up email as an IMAP account but the setup process seems to default to POP. How do i change this?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2020 8:39 AM

The email setup process “asks” the server what it supports, then configures the setting for what the server replies. If the server supports IMAP that will be the automatic choice. If you think the server is “lying” to your phone’s setup here is how to manually configure it: Forcing creation of a POP or IMAP email account | Communities

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Stanleyfromga

The email setup process “asks” the server what it supports, then configures the setting for what the server replies. If the server supports IMAP that will be the automatic choice. If you think the server is “lying” to your phone’s setup here is how to manually configure it: Forcing creation of a POP or IMAP email account | Communities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.