Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur Safari 14 Google Meet wired EarPods poor audio

My wife is running the latest OS on her Mac, attempted to connect to a google meet, but experienced intermittent crackling and audio she when using her EarPods mic connected to the headphone jack on there Mac. The audio issues were experienced when she was listening to someone talk and the other person on the meeting call said they couldn't understand her claiming she was "breaking up". She tried multiple EarPods getting the same results. We tested to narrow down issue. We joined a google meet using Safari and experienced the audio issues. We joined a Zoom meeting using Safari and experienced no audio issues. We tested joining a google meet using the latest Chrome and experienced no audio issues. We joined a Zoom meeting using latest Chrome and experienced no audio issues.

So, In our experience, there is an audio issue when using Apple EarPods during Google Meets while using Safari.

Additionally, on my Mac, also running the lates OS, using the same EarPods, connected to a google meet using Safari and the audio issues presented.

This is more of a shared observation but if you have any other ideas for me to test or can reproduce maybe share that here.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 11.0

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 10:50 AM

83 replies

Oct 26, 2020 3:30 PM in response to cshaddock

Hey there cshaddock,

It appears that you are experiencing some issues with using Google Meets in Safari on both your Mac as well as your wife. We would love to assist you with resolving this issue.

Let's try testing out Google Meets in Safari when starting the Mac up in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

You can also check out the Google Meet Support section of Google Support: Google Meet Help

If the issue continues and no troubleshooting is working, you can consider backing up both Macs and reinstalling the macOS using the steps below:

Hope these resources you out!

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Dec 7, 2020 7:58 PM in response to cshaddock

What worked for me is to install Safari Technology Preview.

https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/

Install the second one, it's for free. It solved the crackles. However as it is a separate browser, you will need to re-log in to everything. (I didn't want to use Chrome as it is slow.)

I think they will later solve it in the main Safari also.

Nov 16, 2020 4:20 AM in response to jankasaringer

Unfortunately, a clean install of Big Sur did not fix the problem.

My method:

• start up the MacBook Pro 13" i7 in Recovery mode
  • Delete Macintosh HD
  • Re-Install Big Sur
  • Start Google Meet inside Safari

My findings:

• Audio-In seems to work fine. This means conference attendees are able to hear me crystal clear.
  • Audio-Out is distorted and crackly. That means I am unable to understand anything anyone is saying.

My solution as previously mentioned by others above:

• Use Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, etc. They all work fine.

My Conclusion:

• This is a Safari bug. :-(

My ask:

• apple please help!

# Correction

I've had the meet.google.com window open in the background for about 10 minutes. For some reason the audio problems have fixed themselves. I'm not sure why this would be the case but everything is running fine now.

# Question to the crowd:

Could anyone else confirm leaving the session open eventually leads to clean audio?

Dec 10, 2020 9:47 AM in response to cshaddock

Same problem here. I originally thought this was a problem with the bitrate that the audio is broadcast as and I started messing about with the audio output settings in Audio MIDI Setup. This was a bit hit and miss and I've come to the conclusion that this doesn't have any effect.

This definitely seems to be a Safari bug since Chrome does not exhibit this problem.

I've experienced issues using the following audio output devices:

• Apple iPhone headset earphone connected directly to the headphone socket of my 2020 MacBook Pro
  • Desktop speakers connected via optical out of my CalDigit TS3+ dock
  • Desktop speakers connected via Bluetooth
  • Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display

No issues at all when using Chrome for Google Meet or other web-based VoIP services. Lots of issues in Safari. No issues when using Zoom directly.

Steve

Feb 5, 2021 3:26 AM in response to wladislawguz

I've had fewer problems with this since I installed the macOS 11.1 update. In fact, I don't think I've had any issues since upgrading to macOS 11.1 on my 2020 13" MacBook Pro. I'm now on macOS 11.2 now and can't say I've noticed any issues at all.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I find changing the output format in Audio MIDI Setup improves things for me. I'm using a pair of quality hi-fi speakers connected via the optical output on my CalDigit Thunderbolt dock and these are the settings I'm using:

Might be worth having a play with these settings in Audio MIDI Setup, depending on the input/output device you're using for your Google Meet meetings. Google Meet does seem to exhibit more audio issues than most other remote meeting products I've encountered. I use Zoom daily with no issues. Somebody else suggested disabling IPv6.

Steve

Nov 18, 2020 12:56 PM in response to cshaddock

Sound in Safari is cracky, Chrome is ok. Basically the same as others.

But the weird part is, that it looks like to be related to speaking person.

In Safari, sound is always cracking at the beginning while using google meet. When person A starts talking, it's cracking for a while, and then it suddenly stops and I can hear clearly the person A. But then when person A starts conversation with person B, I can clearly hear person A, but I can hear just cracking from person B.

Nov 19, 2020 5:00 AM in response to cshaddock

Experiencing the same issue here. I have noticed that after 30 seconds to a minute though, it miraculously resolves itself. Other people on the call can here me fine. Almost sounds like a crackling Dalek sound :-).

Chrome is fine and I am running the latest Big Sur (11.0.1) and Safari Version 14.0.1 (16610.2.11.51.8) on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro.

Nov 24, 2020 5:11 AM in response to cshaddock

Exact same audio issues. I was not sure what the problem was and initially thought it was with the other participants. I use 2 different platforms (doxyme and phone.com) for tele conferencing and when I found issues with both I realized it was probably due to the Big Sur update. With doxyme audio would sometimes resolve after 30 seconds to 1 minute but not always. I switched browser to chrome and had have zero issues. I am just waiting for the bug to be fixed with Safari.

Nov 24, 2020 11:04 AM in response to cshaddock

I have had the exact same issue since upgrading to Big Sur - when using Google Meet in Safari, the first 30 seconds or so the sound is unintelligible, and then it miraculously fixes itself - this is the same whether I use wired or wireless headphones or the internal MacBook speakers. This isn't unique to Google Meet - I just used a site called SchoolCloud (which is used for online parent/teacher conferences at my sons' school) and had the same problem. If I use Chrome, I have no issues at all. Clearly, I'll be doing that until Apple fix this!

I have a MacBook Pro 2020, 13 inch, 32Gb Ram, i7 2.3Ghz Quad-Core, running Big Sur 11.0.1, and I have 350Mbps fibre broadband. (ie this is not a system or network performance issue)

MacOS Big Sur Safari 14 Google Meet wired EarPods poor audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.