Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch series 6. Altimeter issue

Good evening. My aw is on latest firmware, but altimeter doesn’t work, only showing —-. Geolocation is on, was trying to repair with phone, restore from backup and set up as new - all this doesn’t help. How can I solve this

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2020 5:58 AM

I'm having a similar issue with my new AW6. When I restart the watch the altimeter shows -- but eventually shows and elevation. The issue is the elevation is 70-90 feet more than it should be. I'm hoping this is a software issue that can be corrected with the next update. Please let me know if you figure the issue out.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251953133

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2020 5:58 AM in response to _Romal_

I'm having a similar issue with my new AW6. When I restart the watch the altimeter shows -- but eventually shows and elevation. The issue is the elevation is 70-90 feet more than it should be. I'm hoping this is a software issue that can be corrected with the next update. Please let me know if you figure the issue out.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251953133

Nov 9, 2020 5:59 PM in response to _Romal_

I, too, am experiencing this issue. It is with a Space Gray Aluminum 40mm Series 6. I live at sea level (basically on the beach.) My watch, after initial setup, functioned perfectly until Day 2, when the altimeter complication began to show "drift". As I am typing this, on the second story of my home at sea level, the complication reads ~425ft.

Here's the zinger. The watch knows my altitude, but isn't reporting it correctly. How do I know? If I ask Siri, "What is my altitude?", she responds to the query with the actual altitude. I have tested this on the second and first floor of my home, and the altitude Siri announces changes accordingly. It seems that the complication and compass app are not being updated with the correct information, somehow. My conclusion is that this is a software issue that can be resolved. The only thing I can do, really, is post about my experience here and hope that an Engineer sees it. Hopefully my post helped somebody.

Nov 10, 2020 11:53 AM in response to Elery

Just talked to Apple Support. The best suggestion they could come up with was to recalibrate my watch. I did that, but the problem persists. I tried wiping my watch again. Didn't fix it. I just reset settings on my phone also, hoping that would help. It seems as though I've exhausted every avenue. I'm growing extremely frustrated since I bought this watch specifically for the altimeter. Very disappointed. It's reading 500ft altitude, as I sit here right next to the sea. :(

Dec 14, 2020 4:38 AM in response to Sphagnum_Pete

A couple of weeks ago I noticed my Apple Watch 6 altimeter was indicating 2000+ feet (with a +/- 1650ft error margin) too high.

Chatted (via text), and phone call to Apple. I was surprised by the suggestions that it could be magnetic interference. I was under the impression the 'always on' altimeter on the series 6 was straight barometric.

One of the suggestions I got from Apple, was to un-pair and pair the watch. It worked, ... for about a day. I repeated the process, and it worked again for a few days. Now its indicating 2000 feet high again. The altimeter actually works, I see it changing as I ride elevators, or even if I bring it to the floor level, and back to eye level. Very sensitive, just completely out of calibration.

I have Watch OS 7.1, iOS 14.2 on a second gen iPhone SE.

Dec 18, 2020 5:00 AM in response to chicomanicaca

I was hoping this issue would be fixed with Watch OS 7.2 but no such luck. The altimeter is still typically hundreds of feet off for my actual altitude. The ability to ask Siri what my altitude is no longer works. Now she has no idea what I'm talking about. I will follow up with Apple support again to see if they have a resolution.

Jan 6, 2021 7:38 AM in response to chicomanicaca

Update on my altimeter discrepancies.

Last week I flew twice between Chicago and Dallas-Ft Worth. The altimeter climbed to the (pressurized) cabin altitude of around 8000 feet) a few times. Upon landing at each destination, a good elevation was displayed.

I fly every week. I'm wondering if thats what got the altimeter 'lost' for a while.

For weeks after the first time I flew with it, It was showing 2000 high with an error of +/- 1650. Now it show good altitude with an error between +/- 20 and +/-110. Looks like the altimeter is 'learning' to calibrate itself?

Jan 27, 2021 1:54 PM in response to _Romal_

I have the SE and have been having the same issue since I got the watch last summer. I was able to successfully get the altimeter to work one time after a repair/restore. It lasted 2 days and went back to not working. I have made many more attempts and updated to the current OS noting works. I bought this watch for the altimeter and not having it work is extremely frustrating!!!!

Jan 27, 2021 2:08 PM in response to f631

What really frustrated me is that nobody at Apple understood the problem I was having or were able to help.

My altimeter has been within a reasonable calibration for a while.

I think (this is my crazy theory) my watch learned to calibrate itself better after I was at different altitudes (from sea level to cabin altitude of aprox. 8000 feet) several times.

Does your altimeter work f631? Meaning, if you move your wrist from the floor level to above your head ... do you see the altitude change? Mine has always worked (very sensitive), it was just a matter of the watch catch up on calibrating.

Apr 6, 2021 8:38 AM in response to _Romal_

As I posted last year .... In the beginning, my series 6 was indicating high about 2000 feet. Then it started behaving and worked within +- 40 feet for several months.

I go up and down from sea level to 8000 feet several times a week.

About 2 weeks ago, it started going crazy again. I'm on the beach in Ft Lauderdale, altimeter indicating 5278 feet!!!

I give up!!

May 4, 2021 3:12 AM in response to chicomanicaca

I got my series 6 last week and the altitude was showing around 20 metres which is about right, but I noticed yesterday it was going up and up and is now on 78 metres. At the same time we have just had some really poor weather and a deep low pressure system, so it's obvious that the change in air pressure is being reflected in the watch readings. However air pressure is now rising but the watch is stuck a7 78m, you would think that there was some clever algorithm built in to take account of this, but obviously not.

May 4, 2021 10:11 AM in response to chicomanicaca

Thanks for this, unfortunately I turned the watch off for a few minutes but it didn’t resolve the issue. I have also just updated the software but that didn’t work either. I have downloaded an app called Barometer and this works on the Watch too, and this shows correct data so definitely a software bug. Hopefully it will settle down, nothing major but it bugs me when things don’t work as they should.

Apple watch series 6. Altimeter issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.