Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Static Noises

Alright guys, these forums have always been so helpful for me but today I created an account because I am extremely creeped out by my device. When charging the phone has a static sound coming from it as well as beeping. VERY VERY faint but my hearing sensitive and I could’ve sworn I accidentally left music playing. Anyone else having this issue?? Already erased and set up as new! Still happening. Old device does not do this. Very creeped out.

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 1:29 AM

34 replies

Nov 12, 2020 2:18 PM in response to isabelladavis1

I started to notice the same issue on my iPhone 12 Pro. It also happens when it's not charging. It almost like a sound of a mechanical process like a cd spinning or a fax machine dialing or something like that. It's more noticeable when scrolling through a list like a twitter feed or a webpage.

The sound is also accompanied by heating.

I'm not sure if it's designed this way or it's a fault on my iPhone.

Oct 29, 2020 6:01 AM in response to Apple1621

Hello Apple1621.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're experiencing some unique issues with your iPhone 12 Pro. Specifically, you're hearing static noises while charging and other sound issues as well. If this is the case, we'd like to look into this issue with you. If this sound is coming from your speakers, you might want to review the following resource for help with distorted sound coming from your iPhone. Please check out this link:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

You also mentioned that you erased your device and set it up as "new". Did you perform a restore using a computer or did you erase the device via the Settings menu? If you restored your device as "new" using a computer, and you continue to experience this specific issue, please reach out to Apple Support for additional assistance. You can reach them by going here:

Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Nov 9, 2020 7:38 PM in response to Apple1621

Same issue, just got my 12 Pro this evening and the static, crackling noise while charging with cable is moderately faint but I can hear it from a couple feet away. Occasionally it makes louder, scratchy whistling noises too, which is troubling! This is going to be noticeable and disrupting while charging overnight near my bed, but mostly just concerned something might be shorted inside. It is definitely coming through the back and not the speakers. My previous iPhone have never done anything like this.

Nov 21, 2020 5:01 PM in response to Apple1621

You're not alone. My iPhone 12 Pro makes the static radio like noises too, whenever it's plugged in for charging, for the most part. This happens consistently and the noise is coming from the back side of the phone (not from the speakers or through the ports). The noise is indeed faint but you can definitely hear it if you place your ear against the back side. This is my third iPhone and I have never had issues before with the hardware.

I have called Apple Support about my concern and they confirmed that it's not normal. They sent me to a Genius Bar in-person appointment in a noisy store at a mall and could not hear/replicate the issue in that environment. I called Support again as soon as I got home and this time they set up a service/repair appointment for me at a Best Buy.

My issue with this is not just the noise. Because it's happening (at least for now) when I plug it in for charging. I'm actually afraid to charge it while I'm sleeping for safety reasons.

Nov 25, 2020 5:16 AM in response to fezfactiry

I experienced the same issue today. The static notice happened while I was on the phone paired with the screen pixelating then the phone shutting off and restarting on it’s own.

The first time this happened, I heard the static noise but no pixelation on the screen followed with the phone shutting off and restarting on its own as well.

Dec 19, 2020 4:00 PM in response to Apple1621

Speakers have cracklings sound, I played the most melodious song and it didn’t sound smooth on my brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max that I got literally a day ago.

Looking at all the other posts on community, it doesn’t seem a unique problem for me.

Apple should look into this and possible recall if this is an hardware issue.

we didn’t spend so much money for static speakers 😟

Dec 20, 2020 11:58 PM in response to Apple1621

I have the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Randomly, my phone will make static noises. It’s the same thing that happens in my granddaughters laptop during zoom meetings. I noticed it in her lap top and now the iPhone is doing it. It sounds like when you are on a long distance phone call that has static. It comes on for a minute or so and then stops. Randomly. Several times a day. The phone can be sitting on the table by itself and it will do it. How do I talk to an Apple tech about this? Seems like a problem.

iPhone 12 Pro Static Noises

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.