Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro messaging videos with blue / turquoise / cyan video

My partner has a new iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 14.1. Sometimes when she sends videos recorded on the new iPhone 12 Pro via Messages, the recipients get video that is just a solid blue / turquoise / cyan (adding colors to help searchers!) color rather than the actual video content. Audio comes through just fine. It's actual videos (attempting to be) sent, not links to iCloud videos. Might be with bigger videos -- the ones where it's happened have been larger (1:20 or longer). I just used her iPhone 12 Pro to send a video recorded on her old phone, and that transmitted fine.

So, bottom line: looks like longer videos recorded on iPhone 12 Pro sent via messages get video replaced with a solid turquoise image.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 8:38 PM

Go to Settings. Search Camera.

Go to FORMATS, change to Most Compatible instead of High Efficiency.

That should fix the problem.

97 replies

Nov 6, 2020 8:36 AM in response to victorf13

My wife’s iPhone 12 Pro does the same thing. She sends me a video and it comes through via iMessage and is just a blue/turquoise screen. The audio is there but no video. That said, I don’t have the same issue on my IPhone 12 Pro, not sure if this issue is isolated to a specific model. Hers is the silver 128gb, mine is the space grey 128gb.

Oct 29, 2020 7:23 PM in response to victorf13

So glad you posted this! I'm having the same issue with a video that's about 2:30 on my iPhone 12 (not pro) and everyone keeps telling me they can only see blue with audio. For some reason the very first time I sent the video to someone, it went through fine, but not to any other numbers since. All have been to other older iPhones. If I try to send the video to an android, I get an error message the the video is too large to send.

I suppose this is the problem with preordering a new generation. Hoping iOS update will fix this.

Oct 30, 2020 9:39 AM in response to victorf13

OMG! This has been so frustrating!!! I got my phone on Tuesday 10/17 and this has been the problem ever since. It happens for me with any size video shot on this phone. It won't send in email, text, imessage, GroupMe, or any other way. It seems almost as if the 12 is recording the video in some format or resolution that cannot be read by recipients? So frustrating!!! I'm hoping for a quick fix!!!

Nov 9, 2020 12:38 PM in response to R3lak

My wife and I both got iPhone 12s at the same time (hers through Xfinity Mobile, mine through Verizon). So far, mine has not done this but hers has. Carrier is likely insignificant, I would guess. We both utilize iCloud for photo/video overflow, however she has probably 5x the number of photos and videos that I have. We share our iCloud storage.

Sharing via iCloud link is her workaround at the moment.

Nov 17, 2020 2:29 PM in response to victorf13

Go to Settings. Search Camera.

Go to FORMATS, change to Most Compatible instead of High Efficiency.

Seems indeed to work for new videos.

For videos taken in High Efficiency format, I also found a work around:

Send video from iPhone 12 Pro via Whatsapp to another iPhone (in my case an iPhone 6s). The video plays fine in Whatsapp. After that I forwarded the video from Whatsapp via email. Problem solved. Not sure if this works in all cases. For me it worked.

Nov 21, 2020 5:29 AM in response to victorf13

This happened to me too!! But not to everyone and I’m the only one with a iPhone 12 (got the 12 Pro Max). I even sent a video in a group to my daughter and son in law and he got it fine and it was blue for her which I find odd!!! And seems my son who has the 11 Pro sometimes will get them as blue. Airdrop isn’t always an option since he’s in the Air Force in South Dakota and I live in Pa. I hate we have to lower our video quality though. Isn’t that why we got the newer phone? I came from an 8 Plus to the 12.

Nov 28, 2020 10:45 AM in response to almaster

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! And why does this only occasionally happen with random people? My daughter who has an 8 Plus can always get my videos. A friend who has a 12 Pro Max same as me gets them blue from me but my daughter can send the video I sent her and they get them perfectly fine. Same withy son who has the 11 Pro.....blue from me but fine when I forward to my daughter to send to him.

F R U S T R A T I N G

FIX THIS!!!!! Christmas is coming and we would love to document the end of this horrible year in high def please!!!!!!!!

iPhone 12 Pro messaging videos with blue / turquoise / cyan video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.