Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gap between display and aluminium bezel

Hi!

Purchased an iPhone 12 last Friday and although it is amazing I noticed a flaw that definitely shouldn't be this way. At the top side of the phone there is a gap between the screen and the bezel, you can even see some of the internals and after one day dust is already getting stuck in the gap. I cannot imagine this phone is waterproof. Is there anyone else with this issue? In the Apple Store they told me this is just "cosmetic" so nothing they can do...

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2020 10:25 PM

I have this issue too! A small piece of dust has gotten stuck above the display...

These replies are not helpful...we do not want to return this phone permanently, we want one without the display gap!!

33 replies

Oct 28, 2020 4:10 AM in response to piet254

It is easy to say to just return it... I purchased mine through a third party which refers you to Apple with these issues so I do not have the luxury to return in within 14 days.. and yes I love it but although this is just a small defect it should not happen on a 960 euro phone. I did return it to the third party which hopefully can do something about this because this is not what you should expect from Apple.

Oct 29, 2020 5:06 PM in response to piet254

I have the same problem with my silver iPhone 12 Pro except the gap goes all the way down the right side of the display. The gap is just large enough to see the internal structure of the stainless steal frame and when the light hits it the right way it looks really jagged and uneven compared to the other sides. The gap is wide enough toward the bottom near the 5G antenna that I can get my fingernail caught in it too. This doesn't exactly look or feel very "premium" considering I'm paying over a thousand dollars for this phone. I'm tempted to go to Apple as well but it seems like you didn't have much luck... I'm just frustrated because it really takes away from the beauty of the otherwise flawless phone.

Nov 1, 2020 11:18 AM in response to piet254

Hey guys,

My old iPhone 12 had a gap where a paper could fit in on the right, top and bottom edges.

I exchanged it for a new one and now there is only a small gap on the top (the paper can't go in as deep though) which is fine.

If you have this problem, I recommend you go to the store and simply exchange it, no need to give a reason. (The sales person who helped me told me that their phone has a gap too LOL)

Dec 6, 2020 10:41 PM in response to piet254

I have the same issue, seems to be part and parcel of the flat display compared to the previous curved ones or chamfered flat ones. I agree it’s annoying as I’ve already noticed two pieces of dust get wedged in it. Don’t worry about it affecting water resistance though, it doesn’t mean the gap leads to underneath the display, it’s likely just a hollow gap that’s there by design rather than that you got a bad unit.

Dec 19, 2020 10:24 AM in response to piet254

I just got my iPhone 12 Pro yesterday and today I noticed the dust inside of that gap too and got scared, @Johnathan's answer is such a basic answer and sounds rude. It's not that we are not satisfied it's that we're concerned, if you live your life responding on the Apple forum's please at least be helpful and kind to others.

I've read TONS of other comments with the SAME issue, this is the first time I've ever had such a gap on an iPhone (this is my fourth iPhone).

At this point it's just Apple who has to find the answer to our question, the stores don't know but the manufacturer could help us find an answer. I have a video I found online and I have the EXACT same gap. Let's hope we find an answer to our question!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Jan 15, 2021 4:49 AM in response to piet254

I wanted to report that my brand new iPhone 12 pro has the exact same issue as well. With this flaw i can say for sure that my iPhone is not dust resistant, definitely not water resistant.

and for the 1500$ I paid in my country (for the regular 12 pro!) I thought I would get a flawless phone.

I don’t know what should i do because I live in israel, and here it’s not so simple as to just go and have your iPhone replaced, because here the costumer service is not directly from apple, it’s goes through a third party retailer and they might not even recognize the screen gap as an issue... yeah it really sucks here.

disappointed.

Feb 16, 2021 5:31 PM in response to piet254

I'm just stating in here that I am having the same issue with my iPhone 12, though it is my dog's hair that is going into the gap in the bezel. I was able to stick a pice of paper in the bezel to try and get the hair out, but it just made it sink further. I hope that apple reads these and will be a little more careful next time around with this style of edge.

Mar 30, 2021 9:18 AM in response to piet254

Bought an iPhone 12 3 weeks ago. Noticed a gap 2 weeks back when I started seeing white particles in the gap while I was cleaning. Returned it to the store, they sent it to their service center for analysis then today I was approved for a new one, free of charge.

Went back to the store to collect the new phone. Opened the new phone in front of them and guess what, it also had a gap! They will send it back to the service center for analysis for another week. Good thing I have a spare iPhone.

Was considering simply trading it in for a pro but a lot of other pro owners are having the same issue. Been an Apple user for 7+ years bc of their reliability so this is honestly disappointing to see that their quality checks aren't as thorough as before. Honestly can't blame it on covid bc if they're willing to charge that much, they should be doing the necessary quality checks. Hopefully the 13 will be better.

Gap between display and aluminium bezel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.