Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery indicator percentage error iOS14

After i update my iPhone 11 pro to the newest iOS 14 through OTA i get bug on my battery percentage error, First i thought my battery are draining fast about 1 hour and drop to 1%because new iOS 14 then i’m realize something wrong, when my battery at 1% it can still be using like normal and then i just restarted my phone and then battery got at 75% and while i’m using it battery keeps drop to its 1% life and i’m checked my battery life and i’m getting shock my battery life at 91% !!! Before i’m updating to the iOS 14 my BH at 95% how could these happen?!! And just realize my battery indicator and battery usage are completely wrong.... please tell me this is not hardware problem instead software problem

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 8:54 AM

The Apple Recommended solution here is missing the mark. This is NOT an actually battery draining issue. I see the same thing with the percentage dropping rapidly and then when the phone is rebooted the phone shows like 75% battery. This is clearly a battery monitoring software issue with iOS14 and above. I hope that someone at Apple is taking note of all the complaints and working toward a software bug fix.

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 8:54 AM in response to Rekta56

The Apple Recommended solution here is missing the mark. This is NOT an actually battery draining issue. I see the same thing with the percentage dropping rapidly and then when the phone is rebooted the phone shows like 75% battery. This is clearly a battery monitoring software issue with iOS14 and above. I hope that someone at Apple is taking note of all the complaints and working toward a software bug fix.

Oct 26, 2020 4:23 AM in response to Rekta56

Protect & Prolong life of your iPhone's Battery:

1. About the battery usage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch ...
  2. Batteries - Maximising Performance - Apple (IN)
  3. iPhone Battery and Performance

Try some of these options too.

1. Avoid Screen Mirroring
  2. Put on Low Power Mode
  3. Put Auto Lock On (1 min):- with low power mode it will be 30 Sec
  4. Put Auto Answer Off
  5. Disable Push notifications for apps you do not use often
  6. Keep your iPhone Face down to prevent notifications to light up screen
  7. Enable Auto Brightness:- Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Auto-Brightness [Enable]
  8. Manually lower brightness from Control Center
  9. If you Want to watch continuous Video. Stream it on TV or a Monitor
  10. Don't force close apps; Apps which are not on frontend screen are paused by the system to save energy. Apps require more energy to re-launch. Apps which are open in the background use large memory is a myth and quitting them is counterproductive
  11. Location services to be allowed only while using the app
  12. Set your iPhone to fetch email and calendar data from internet less frequently
  13. Turning off Background App Refresh 
  14. Charge before it drops below 20-30%
  15. Try connecting to trusted Wifi where ever available in stead of Cellular
  16. Enable Airplane mode in areas with bad cellular and wifi coverage. Your phone keeps trying for reconnection with the missing / weak network. This uses lot of energy
  17. Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth while in Roaming or Not in Range
  18. Enable "Wifi Assist" : Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data > Wi-Fi Assist [Enable]
  19. Periodically Check your Battery Health (Settings > Battery > Battery Health)

Apr 28, 2021 7:30 AM in response to adrionna129

adrionna129 wrote:

My percentage keeps showing the wrong one and it keeps turning off and when I turn it off and turn it back on it shows the wrong percent

What model phone? If it is an iPhone 11 see→About recalibration of battery health reporting in iOS 14.5 - Apple Support (already posted on this page, but who ever reads a thread before posting?)

Nov 25, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Rekta56

1. I have been dealing with a similar issue since I updated to iOS 14. I am now on iOS 14.2 on an iPhone 7. I can charge to 100%, unplug the phone, let it sit for three hours and it will show 97% battery. The moment I start to use it (check email, add a reminder, take a photo) I will look and battery is showing 78% and dropping. I haven’t tried to simply use it throughout the day (ignoring the battery percentage) to see if it will actually last for many hours (despite the battery reading), but this percentage indicator has been completely inaccurate since iOS 14. I can’t imagine no-one at Apple is experiencing the same thing. A quick fix would be greatly appreciated. (By the way, this has nothing to do with turning on-or-off various items to “save battery life“. This is an indicator issue tied to the battery.)

Dec 3, 2020 12:32 PM in response to Dee1jay

I have been having the bad-indicator problem on my 1st-gen iPhone SE which I purchased brand new from Best Buy in early 2018. The readings are all over the place and sometimes it takes a long time for a drop in battery charge to be reported. The reading often experiences a dramatic change after a reboot. I have gotten in the habit of rebooting the phone after a call for this specific reason, but after the reboot, sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down, thus it is not clear whether the cause is an overestimation of charge before the boot, or an underestimation of charge after the reboot, etc.

Yesterday the charge indicator was inexplicably at 50% for about 6 hours straight light despite usage, then when I was at the grocery store after work it suddenly went from 50% to emergency shutdown and when I rebooted it said 8%.

SEPARATELY, I have often been using a Shortcuts script to keep Low Power Mode on at all times, although it wasn't on during the 50% to 8% drop I just described. I have read some posts claiming that constant use of low power mode can cause premature battery aging. However, based on the reported functionality of Low Power Mode, I do not see how it could cause any problem at all—UNLESS the steady trickle of background activity is less of an impact on the battery on sudden bursts of activity when the user activates an app (e.g. Mail downloading 20 messages at once instead of pulling them in gradually during the day).

Any thoughts on this latter issue?

Mar 23, 2021 11:28 AM in response to AnotherOldEngineer

For your wife, Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (such as Best Buy) will replace the battery for $49, while you wait.

There are several factors that affect the useful life of Lithium chemistry batteries:

• Primary: Number of full charge cycles (0-100% or a combination that adds up to 100% such as 50% to 100% twice)
  • Secondary: Chronology - much less important than full charge cycles, but age matters some; however, I have 3 over 10 year old iPod Classics that still work reliably. And my 9 year old Plug-in Prius still works perfectly. (So does my 18 year old Prius, but it has a NiMH battery)
  • Coddling: Totally discharging a LiIon battery completely just once will kill it; When the phone shuts off at 0% the battery is not really flat; Apple builds in a buffer, but if it is not charged “soon” after it drops to zero that can kill or damage the battery

Here’s a lot more information→When to charge your iPhone or iPad | Communities

Dec 3, 2020 5:21 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

believe it or not, I was able to buy a new original iphone 6s 128GB last year in a real store... had Apple's warranty for it which just expired...

instead of having this ridiculous conversation about when 6s was released, can someone please explain why it happens to other users as well? it happened for me just after upgrading iOS to 14.2, my iphone works fine for entire day without charging. Only the battery indicator is not showing correct information!

Dec 3, 2020 5:29 AM in response to DanielPolska

Agreed. If battery health is fine (mine continues to show as 91% on my iPhone 7 purchased new from Apple) then something else is happening. Last night, my battery was charged to 100% at 2148 hours. This morning at 0800 it showed as 32% with (and I checked for activity in Settings>Battery) absolutely NO activity occurring. Nothing. Just checking the battery caused the status indicator to drop to 28%. Put on charger and in 6 minutes battery shows at 56%. Mighty quick charging it seems to me. I'd love to hear serious recommendations.

(By the way, I've deleted all Automations as well as the Photo widget in an attempt to reduce background actions.)

Thanks to anyone with serious ideas.

Nov 26, 2020 4:49 PM in response to Dee1jay

Update: I have now spent two separate days with the battery percentage indicator turned off (just so I don’t obsess over it) and battery life, when I do check, is as abysmal as previously seen. In the past 5 minutes of looking at this forum on Safari, my battery indicator went from 98% to 89%. Earlier in the day, the phone went from fully charged to 30% battery in less than three hours with almost no use. Battery health shows 91% and says my battery is currently supporting peak performance.

There’s really no good reason I should be contemplating a new iPhone, but I don’t think there’s any other option. It doesn’t appear this will get any sort of a fix.

Dec 3, 2020 12:50 PM in response to GuyAskingQuestionsAboutMacOS

I agree with you that Low Power Mode shouldn’t be the cause of these issues, but I don’t claim to be a software expert. Your comments makes sense to me regarding sudden bursts of activity, but I would think Apple is already prepared for such actions.

I have, twice now, done a complete reinstall only to find the battery-indicator issue begins to reoccur within 24 hours.

Perhaps our phones and batteries are old. I don’t believe, however, that I should need to replace an iPhone that is only 3 years old just to properly run a new iOS. I guess I might have been happier if they had simply made iPhone 8 the cut-off for running iOS 14.

Battery indicator percentage error iOS14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.