Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get a movie being worked on in iMovie into 'project media'

Hi,

I would like to make a duplicate of my movie I am working on.

I want to make a duplicate of it and then work on that duplicate.

I have to get it into 'projects' to do this I think but I can't see how to do that.

Thanks for help !

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 10:25 AM

Forgive me, but I'm still not understanding what you are trying to do and why.

When you open a project and put media into the timeline, the media that you added to the timeline will appear in the media browser when you click on your project's title under the "Project Media" tab. You can also click on an event listed under the iMovie Library's name by dragging a clip from the event into the project media. You can also open All Events and drag a clip from one of the events listed into the project media. You drag it into Project Media by dragging the clip to the project's title that is shown under Project Media. So what do you mean when you say that you want to "get the video I'm working on in iMovie into Project Media"?

The All Events item shows various events, not projects, that you may have created along the way, and they may have different names.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 10:25 AM in response to denise CLARK

Forgive me, but I'm still not understanding what you are trying to do and why.

When you open a project and put media into the timeline, the media that you added to the timeline will appear in the media browser when you click on your project's title under the "Project Media" tab. You can also click on an event listed under the iMovie Library's name by dragging a clip from the event into the project media. You can also open All Events and drag a clip from one of the events listed into the project media. You drag it into Project Media by dragging the clip to the project's title that is shown under Project Media. So what do you mean when you say that you want to "get the video I'm working on in iMovie into Project Media"?

The All Events item shows various events, not projects, that you may have created along the way, and they may have different names.

-- Rich

Oct 26, 2020 6:07 AM in response to denise CLARK

I have followed the instructions in this link.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210410

When I go to 'projects' the movie I am working on does not show up.

There is no 'Movie' that I can click on that has the same name as the one I am working on.

I do have earlier projects there that I can use and make duplicates of, but I really don't know how they got there!

Any suggestions anyone? thanks!

Oct 26, 2020 8:28 AM in response to denise CLARK

Hi, denise,

iMovie automatically, as you are working, saves your movie to the projects browser screen (where your projects are displayed as icons). Click on the Project back button to get to the Projects browser.

After clicking on the Projects back button the Projects browser screen will open up. You will see your projects displayed as icons.

Move your cursor over the title of the project and that will reveal a little circle with dots in it to the right of the title. Click on the circle and you will get a drop down menu where you can choose to duplicate your project.

When you click on Duplicate Project, your duplicate project will appear in the Projects browser screen. From there you can open it and edit it. Your original project will remain intact.

-- Rich

Oct 26, 2020 6:36 AM in response to denise CLARK

What I have are 2 'events' listed, in 'All Events' They are both listed under 'iMovie Library' It is these that I want to get listed in 'project media'.

I have one listed in in 'Project Media' that has the same title 'iMovie 1 ' in the top title bar as 2 of my movies listed in iMovie library'. BUT as I have renamed them in iMovie Library, this is not how I'd expect it to look.

How to get a movie being worked on in iMovie into 'project media'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.