Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silent not working on iPhone 6s

I am having an issue with my iPhone 6s, when I put it on silent sounds are still heard, wether that be the ringtone or notifications. Ringer switched off via switch and "zeroed sound” in settings. I have restarted the phone to no avail. Can anyone suggest a fix? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 9:40 AM

7 replies

Oct 30, 2020 11:10 AM in response to KammyB

KammyB,

Thanks for getting back to us and for verifying that information. To isolate this behavior, we recommend to make sure that your iPhone is updated to iOS 14.1. In addition, we suggest to temporarily change the, "Ringtone" to a different sound on your iPhone in Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtone. Then, restart your device and change the "Ringtone" back to what you previously had. From there, see if you continue to experience the same behavior.

If needed, here's two helpful article on how to update the software and to restart your iPhone:

1. Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  2. Restart your iPhone

Please keep us posted with the results.

Cheers.

Nov 2, 2020 7:18 AM in response to KammyB

KammyB,

Thanks for getting back to us and for verifying that information.

To help isolate this behavior, we recommend to restore the software on your iPhone to factory settings by using a computer. This will install a fresh brand new copy of the iOS software on your iPhone. Then, you'll want to set up the iPhone as new (without a backup). This will allow to test and see, if the issue is located within the current files or software installed on your iPhone. Here’s how to complete the test:

1. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

2. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

3. Set up your iPhone following the steps here: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

*** For step 5 - “Apps & Data”, please select, "Don't Transfer Apps & Data."

4) After completing the setup, test the iPhone and see if the issue returns. If it doesn’t, you can restore the backup you created for step 1. Here’s how to restore the backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Please keep us posted with the results.

Cheers.

Oct 29, 2020 5:10 PM in response to KammyB

Hello KammyB,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We under that Silent mode is not working properly on your iPhone.

Managing the sound on your iPhone is important, and we'd like to help.

To confirm, when you place the iPhone in Silent mode by moving the switch to the orange color on the side of the iPhone, do you see a message on the display that, Silent Mode is on? By any chance, is there any accidental damage to the switch of your iPhone?

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Silent not working on iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.