Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Unable to login to Google only in iOS Safari

I have an iPhone SE (2nd generation), iOS version 14.1.

I have not been able to login to any Google accounts using iOS Safari. I can load https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/ without problem. The problem is that when I input my email and click "Next", the page will get stuck at loading and will not proceed to password input page.

It doesn't matter what email I input, or whether or not it is an valid email. The page gets stuck when it starts loading.

What I tried to solve this:

• Clear all website data and history.
  • Clear all cookies.
  • Use private mode.
  • Reset all network settings.
  • Reset all settings.
  • Erase all content and settings.
  • Add Google account with other Google apps which pops up a Safari instance.
  • Add Google account with Mail, Contacts, and Calendar in Settings.

None of the above works.

What works:

• Use Google Chrome browser.
  • Use Microsoft Edge browser.

I do not have a Mac to debug the problem using Web Inspector.

I have searched the web for similar issues, but none of the results match my case as the other results are either unable to load the page at all or unable to sign in properly. What's different about my current problem is that I cannot even get past the email input screen.

Please help. Thank you.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 10:54 AM

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Hi all,

I figured out how to correct the issue on my iPhone 11 - I hope this is a universal fix for all iOS devices!

I’ve attached images and video of how I fixed this on my iPhone, along with written steps below:

iPhone -

Go to Settings/Safari/Advanced/Experimental Features/requestIdleCallback (it’s at the bottom of the experimental features list).

Uncheck (move the button from green to gray or ‘off’) ‘requestIdleCallback’, power down and then power on your device/iPhone and you should be good to go.

Launch Safari and try to login to Google.

If you still have issues -

Log out of your accounts in Mail or Accounts

Shut down and restart and triple check to make sure ‘requestIdleCallback’ didn’t turn itself back on. Also if you have multiple devices on the same Apple account, make sure they don’t have requestIdleCallback turned on. iCloud accounts sync almost everything so it’s good to make sure all devices are given the same instructions.

Open Safari and login to Google. If it works go ahead and login to your accounts again.

If you’re still having difficulties:

Reset iOS device

Clear Safari cookies

Make sure all your apps are fully closed

If you own a Mac or different Apple device, try to login with that device. This may help narrow down the issue.

If it doesn’t work let me/us know.

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 1:34 PM

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 29, 2020 5:33 PM in response to yqlim In response to yqlim

I have been experiencing this exact same issue for the past three days.

At first I thought it was just the email app I was using on iPhone 11 (running iOS 14.1). So I went back to Mail and found that I’d been booted out of my already-signed-in-account. Now I can’t login no matter what platform or browser or app I use.

I went through the steps yqlim describes (above) and even went to far as to reset my iPhone entirely.

The screen is still stuck on the email entry box for login and doesn’t even get to the password box. Just ‘hangs’.

Beyond frustrated!

Apple and Google get your acts together. We pay enough for your devices and services. This shouldn’t ever be an issue. Period.

Oct 29, 2020 5:33 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 29, 2020 5:33 PM in response to yqlim In response to yqlim

I have been experiencing this exact same issue for the past three days.

At first I thought it was just the email app I was using on iPhone 11 (running iOS 14.1). So I went back to Mail and found that I’d been booted out of my already-signed-in-account. Now I can’t login no matter what platform or browser or app I use.

I went through the steps yqlim describes (above) and even went to far as to reset my iPhone entirely.

The screen is still stuck on the email entry box for login and doesn’t even get to the password box. Just ‘hangs’.

Beyond frustrated!

Apple and Google get your acts together. We pay enough for your devices and services. This shouldn’t ever be an issue. Period.

Oct 29, 2020 5:33 PM

Reply Helpful (9)

Oct 29, 2020 5:56 PM in response to yqlim In response to yqlim

Hi yqlim,

We see from your post you're unable to sign into Google on your iPhone SE regardless of how you try to trigger the sign in.

You've taken some great isolating steps so far, if the issue persists solely in Safari, our recommendation would be to factory reset the iPhone. This is a bit more in-depth than erasing content and settings via the Settings app on the phone itself, but it would require a Mac or PC. The steps are in the article below:

Once restored in this manner, set the phone up as new, then test the issue. If you're able to login properly at that point, wipe the phone again and restore your backup.

If the issue returns after restoring your backup or if it persists at a clean install, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support for further assistance. You can see contact options here: Get Support.

Take care.

Oct 29, 2020 5:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 3, 2020 12:36 AM in response to yqlim In response to yqlim

I'm having the same issue on iOS 14.1.

Having looked into the safari console via my laptop, it seems Safari has been updated for iOS with tighter security restrictions for CSP.

The restriction that I believe is causing this bug is "Unrecognized Content-Security-Policy directive 'worker-src'."

If that's the case, this is a problem on Google's side, not something Apple should fix.

Nov 3, 2020 12:36 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Nov 6, 2020 5:18 AM in response to gavinmorrice In response to gavinmorrice

Hi, thanks for the information. I tried searching this issue and it seems there are no information on this out there and there seems to be nowhere to ask Google about this problem.

I stumbled on this similar question in Google Ads, https://support.google.com/google-ads/thread/50274846?hl=en&msgid=50276734, the product expert just kinda put the blame on Safari and straight up suggests downloading Chrome and ditch Safari.

Strangely, using some other iPhones with iOS 14.1 that I have access to don't seem to have this issue and they can log in/out without problem.

Nov 6, 2020 5:18 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Nov 6, 2020 7:02 AM in response to yqlim In response to yqlim

Hi there,

I’m also another person having this issue. Just updated to 14.2 but still didn’t fix the problem. Seems to be something preventing the page to go to the next page to enter password. To make sure I’m on the same page as all who have been having an issue with google on iOS safari, my issue I’m experiencing is where I enter my google account username, click next to proceed to enter password, but it takes too long to load to the page. My internet has a stable connection no problems. Hope my problem is the similar or same situation as everyone else, please let me know if it is or not. If it is, what’s the fix? I need to use google on safari to sign ASAP.

Nov 6, 2020 7:02 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Solved

Nov 9, 2020 1:34 PM in response to justyn113 In response to justyn113

Hi all,

I figured out how to correct the issue on my iPhone 11 - I hope this is a universal fix for all iOS devices!

I’ve attached images and video of how I fixed this on my iPhone, along with written steps below:

iPhone -

Go to Settings/Safari/Advanced/Experimental Features/requestIdleCallback (it’s at the bottom of the experimental features list).

Uncheck (move the button from green to gray or ‘off’) ‘requestIdleCallback’, power down and then power on your device/iPhone and you should be good to go.

Launch Safari and try to login to Google.

If you still have issues -

Log out of your accounts in Mail or Accounts

Shut down and restart and triple check to make sure ‘requestIdleCallback’ didn’t turn itself back on. Also if you have multiple devices on the same Apple account, make sure they don’t have requestIdleCallback turned on. iCloud accounts sync almost everything so it’s good to make sure all devices are given the same instructions.

Open Safari and login to Google. If it works go ahead and login to your accounts again.

If you’re still having difficulties:

Reset iOS device

Clear Safari cookies

Make sure all your apps are fully closed

If you own a Mac or different Apple device, try to login with that device. This may help narrow down the issue.

If it doesn’t work let me/us know.

Nov 9, 2020 1:34 PM

Reply Helpful (7)

Nov 16, 2020 3:47 PM in response to luv2flutter In response to luv2flutter

Thank you so much! I upgraded to the iPhone 11 Pro Max and after several days I was logged out of my Google account through mail and safari. I’ve been searching for a resolution for three weeks! So happy I read this thread today, thank you for finding the solution.

Nov 16, 2020 3:47 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: yqlim

Question: Unable to login to Google only in iOS Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
  • A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Learn more.