Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen glitch (interlacing & offset) on 2017 MacBook Pro 15-inch

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me out with this.

Recently, my screen has started to glitch out after being on for a long time. I'll leave more detailed notes below, but first... this is what it looks like...

The following shots reveal that the error occurs over *most* of the screen but is not occurring above or below a certain horizontal line.

A screenshot of the same screen does not produce the same result. It's clean.

More details...

• The issue seems to occur after the computer has been on for a long time (like maybe 12 hours or more)
  • But then it continues to occur after restarts if I don't let it rest overnight or for an extended period of time.
  • I have tried turning off auto-switching graphics cards under the power settings. -- it did nothing to help.
  • I tried turning off auto-adjust brightness. -- It did nothing to help.
  • The keyboard section of the macbook pro was recently replaced.
  • (This might be completely unrelated) -- The macbook pro has a little "pop" that occurs shortly after startup. Sometimes it'll happen. Sometimes it won't. I believe it's a fan issue. This was also the reason why the techs decided to change the keyboard out. -- It didn't fix the issue.
    • Side note, the screen glitch began a couple weeks ago. Perhaps a month or two after the repair I just noted.
  • I have two external monitors plugged in via a CALDIGIT TS3 PLUS-ZML purchased from the apple store.
  • The two additional monitors have no issues with them and everything shows up just fine.

This is an incredibly frustrating issue. Especially, with how much money I have invested into this piece of equipment. I use it for work and obviously can't have such an expensive investment fail like this. Also, my maxed out applecare warranty JUST ended a couple months ago.

I'm very frustrated to say the least. But I hope I can find help here. Thank you for your time and attention to this issue.

Sincerely,

Raymond

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 6:46 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Oct 30, 2020 9:13 AM in response to zavas2003

Hello zavas2003,

After reviewing your post, it seems like the screen is not displaying the desktop correctly, but it is shown correctly on connected external displays. It seems like it may be isolated to the MacBook Pro. It looks like you have already done some troubleshooting to solve this issue. Even though there is a chance that you've tried these steps already, we would recommend you follow every step and it may need to be evaluated for service.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Mac Repair

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Screen glitch (interlacing & offset) on 2017 MacBook Pro 15-inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.