Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I delete photos on my phone but not have them deleted in iCloud?

I need to free up storage on my phone but want to keep my photos in ICloud. How do I accomplish that?

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 5:15 AM

If you are using iCloud Photos, when you delete a photo on your phone, you delete it in iCloud as well. iCloud is merely a syncing service, not off device storage. You can download the photos to a computer and then delete them from the phone if you want to make room on the device.

You can read more about iCloud Photos here.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

You can read about archiving photos to your computer here.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2020 5:15 AM in response to DoDo63

If you are using iCloud Photos, when you delete a photo on your phone, you delete it in iCloud as well. iCloud is merely a syncing service, not off device storage. You can download the photos to a computer and then delete them from the phone if you want to make room on the device.

You can read more about iCloud Photos here.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

You can read about archiving photos to your computer here.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Oct 28, 2020 6:31 AM in response to DoDo63

While iCloud sync is enabled, you can’t delete photos on your device without also deleting them from iCloud. However, you can disable iCloud sync altogether and then delete the photos from your phone.

Also, consider having your device store low resolution local copies, while saving the full resolution images on iCloud. You can enable this by going to Settings/Photos and tapping “Optimize iPhone Storage.”

how can I delete photos on my phone but not have them deleted in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.