Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS tracking in Workout App on Watch Series 2 and iPhone SE (original version)

Recently the GPS tracking on my Watch Series 2 paired with an iPhone SE (original) when running or bike riding has become very erratic. It starts to track as I leave the house, but loses the signal. It may capture the signal a few minutes later, and then interpolate my route as a straight line, when in fact I have followed the roads and turned several times.

I have tried a number of things: (1) staring the Workout app early and putting it on pause while I complete getting ready, to give it time to capture a good signal, (2) disabling location services then restarting both the watch and the iPhone, (3) unpairing the Watch and reinstalling iOS, (4) leaving the phone at home and relying on just the Watch's GPS (this one seemed to work).

I had this problem several months ago, but it seemed to get better for a while. However, it has come back, and the route tracking functions are virtually useless now.

Any suggestions for a fix, or is this a new software bug?

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 28, 2020 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 5:13 AM

I have discovered a workaround, which seems to have solved my problem. I downloaded and installed the application GPS Diagnostic: Satellite Test to my iPhone. Before beginning a run or a ride I launch this app, and wait until it shows four green bars and indicates that the location is being determined by GPS (look where it says Signal). I then start my activity in the usual way on my watch, and tracking throughout is pretty good.

I believe that what was happening before is that location services was determining my starting location based on the location of my WiFi router. As I moved away from home, it lost this signal, but had not yet picked up the GPS signals from satellites. Since I was moving, it was having trouble calibrating to the GPS, until I stopped running or riding for a few minutes.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2020 5:13 AM in response to BrianGibb

I have discovered a workaround, which seems to have solved my problem. I downloaded and installed the application GPS Diagnostic: Satellite Test to my iPhone. Before beginning a run or a ride I launch this app, and wait until it shows four green bars and indicates that the location is being determined by GPS (look where it says Signal). I then start my activity in the usual way on my watch, and tracking throughout is pretty good.

I believe that what was happening before is that location services was determining my starting location based on the location of my WiFi router. As I moved away from home, it lost this signal, but had not yet picked up the GPS signals from satellites. Since I was moving, it was having trouble calibrating to the GPS, until I stopped running or riding for a few minutes.

GPS tracking in Workout App on Watch Series 2 and iPhone SE (original version)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.