Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 pro scratched screen

I've only had my iPhone 12 pro for 3 days, haven't left the house & yet I already have significant scratches on the 'super strong' ceramic glass front screen! Anyone else experienced this? #notveryhappy

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 6:45 AM

I had my IPhone X for over two years, and for the majority of that time I didn’t have a case or a screen protector. After a couple of years I definitely had a couple of scratches, but nothing major; it was so impressive! I got my iPhone 12 on release day and it hasn’t had any more than normal wear and tear that my X would go through. No drops, no cohabitation in pockets with keys, nothing like that - but I already have several significant scratches; easily as bad as anything on my 2+ year old X. I’m definitely disappointed; I’ve ordered a screen protector, and I’ll probably be ordering a case as well, but certainly the difference in performance between the X and the 12 seems pretty stark to me.

706 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2020 6:45 AM in response to leefromfolkestone

I had my IPhone X for over two years, and for the majority of that time I didn’t have a case or a screen protector. After a couple of years I definitely had a couple of scratches, but nothing major; it was so impressive! I got my iPhone 12 on release day and it hasn’t had any more than normal wear and tear that my X would go through. No drops, no cohabitation in pockets with keys, nothing like that - but I already have several significant scratches; easily as bad as anything on my 2+ year old X. I’m definitely disappointed; I’ve ordered a screen protector, and I’ll probably be ordering a case as well, but certainly the difference in performance between the X and the 12 seems pretty stark to me.

Nov 12, 2020 1:11 PM in response to leefromfolkestone

YES! This happened to me. Left the store with a case, but was told wouldn't need a screen protector because the screen was Ceramic. I have not dropped it once. Has been babied since I got it. A few days later a small nick appeared at the bottom. I never put it in my pocket, I don't throw it into my bag, I have NO clue how it got there, but I'm very disappointed. That's never happened to me before with any Android phones or iPhones. I just changed back over from the Galaxy S10+ that I had over a year (no damage). How does this happen with an APPLE product? Very upset...

Nov 23, 2020 7:41 PM in response to ester231

Contact Apple Support directly and see what they tell you, as they are literally the only ones who can do anything for you.

Contact - Official Apple Support

By the way, "stronger" in the context of these articles means more shatter-resistant, not necessarily more impervious to scratches:

CNet: iPhone 12 drop test results are in: Ceramic shield is as tough as it sounds

Nov 23, 2020 8:48 PM in response to Canadianpj

I congratulate you on your luck with your 11, recipient of the exact same complaints:

iPhone 11 screen scratches - Apple Community

Or the XS:

iPhone XS screen prone to scratching ? - Apple Community

Or the X:

iPhone X screens scratch very easily - Apple Community

Or the 7:

iPhone 7 screen easily scratched - Apple Community

Or the 6S:

iPhone 6S Screen Scratches

As mentioned, in each case, Apple has said the same thing:

Scratches are user-caused cosmetic damage and are not covered under warranty.

However, feel free to let Apple know of your disenchantment:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Nov 23, 2020 8:56 PM in response to pomtamayo

Unfortunately unless some noise is made no, make sure to fill this out: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Ignore the constant "this is normal" chatter. It's not.

For the others reading this. I remember when the iPhone 6 came out and I was at an Apple store waiting for an appointment (helping a friend get a battery replacement) and overheard something. A lady wanted a screen protector and the Genius said it wasn't required. She was worried about scratches. He pulled out his keys and wracked them across the screen.

No scratches.

I've not put one on my phone since the 4S and this is the FIRST time it's been a problem.

Curious right?

Nov 24, 2020 4:25 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Based on some of the comments here (i.e. - getting better 4x drop performance is the big win but scratches are to be expected), I would have appreciated having seen some documentation explaining that the new iPhone 12Pro Ceramic display is harder to shatter, but the tradeoff is that it is more likely to scratch. That kind of information, during the buying process would have been great to know.

However, from the website, that is not what is explained. The info is for both better drop-performance AND scratch resistance:

"Nanoscale ceramic crystals

Enter Ceramic Shield. It’s made by introducing nano‑ceramic crystals — which are actually harder than most metals — into glass. Sounds simple, but it’s incredibly difficult because most ceramics aren’t transparent. By controlling the type of crystals and degree of crystallinity, we developed an exclusive formula that maximizes the toughness of the ceramic while remaining optically clear. This was the breakthrough that made Ceramic Shield ideally suited for the display. It’s a first in any smartphone, and it’s tougher than any smartphone glass.

Dual ion-exchange process

Tough is great, but we also wanted to make it scratch-resistant. So, using our dual ion-exchange process we use on the back glass, we protect against nicks, scratches, and everyday wear and tear.

4x better drop performance3

Beyond Ceramic Shield, there’s one more thing that contributes to the durability of the front cover. It sits flush to the edge of the phone, which helps protect it even more. Altogether, we’ve quadrupled the drop performance — the largest year-over-year improvement ever for iPhone."

I've now put on a screen protector, but I'm disappointed that the "nicks, scratches, and everyday wear and tear" that the new ceramic shield is supposed to endure was not enough to protect my phone from a scratch. My case and screen protector were on order, but they arrived after my pre-order iPhone 12 pro arrived (many vendors didn't have them available right away and I didn't want to buy two times). My error was thinking that for that brief time, with great care (putting iPhone in microfiber pouch when not in use), shouldn't prove to be impossible to keep the phone in pristine condition.

Dec 6, 2020 1:13 PM in response to Jak115

Jak115 wrote:

Much easier than previous versions. iPhone 12 is sold with a new improved screen.

You saying that as if this crap doesn't happen every dang year with iPhone users that scratches their screen and blame Apple.

iPhone 11 - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250669687 (196 pages long)

iPhone SE - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251526792

iPhone Xs - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8567236

Watch 5 - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250732806

Cut this crap out. You're responsible for damage you do to your device.

Dec 16, 2020 6:53 PM in response to airtd34

airtd34 wrote:

Why switch from the 11 Pro materials if they were working?

Dang, looks like you'd prefer iPhone 11 Pro over the newer iPhone 12? Go buy it then. Whatever makes you happy.

iPhone 11 - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250669687 (196 pages long)

Somebody out there gonna scratch their phone every year, and they gonna always create a new thread for every single iPhone. Only way to stop this is to make a 100% scratch proof glass, which is not possible in our universe or dimension lmao.

Dec 21, 2020 9:59 AM in response to MrsJLipke

I'm sorry you're upset about this, but expressing your dismay with me, who is a user just like you on this user to user ONLY forum is pointless.

Tell Apple how you feel --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

I don't have any scratches on my phone. I put a screen protector on my phone before it was ever turned on. As I've done with every iPhone I've owned, except iPhone 6, which I unfortunately didn't do. And that phone in one year got all sorts of scratches. I learned my lesson with that. Only I didn't blame Apple, I blamed myself because I understand glass is glass and glass can be scratched.

BTW, your tire analogy doesn't work. You may be upset your phone has some cosmetic scratches, but it in no way renders your phone unusable inside or outside. Tires which couldn't be used outside would not be fit for use. A phone with cosmetic scratches works perfectly fine as it should. Pretty big difference.

Perhaps you'd prefer this analogy if you want a car analogy...........Not buying car insurance because you've never had an accident is akin to not putting a screen protector on a new phone because you've never scratched a phone's screen before.

Jan 1, 2021 9:12 AM in response to shaynefromwentzvile

Then you were incredibly unique and lucky.

iPhone 11 Scratch Thread --> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250669687?answerId=252848127022#252848127022

One of many iPhone Xs Scratch Threads --> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8567236?answerId=34080955022#34080955022

There have been threads on EVERY iPhone since iPhone was released about the screen scratching.

Personally, I only made the mistake of going without a screen protector on one phone, iPhone 6. At the end of one year, the phone was littered with micro-scratches. I vowed then and there to never forgo a screen protector on any iPhone I ever purchased again.

Jan 6, 2021 8:41 PM in response to buzzgary

That's you.

The industry as a whole has moved to shatter resistance but more scratch prone; it's true of Corning Gorilla Glass as well as Apple's formulations.

Indeed, we used to get questions here daily about how to get shattered glass repaired and those questions have dropped to near zero.

Feel free to make your displeasure known to Apple at the link below; complaining here will do nothing.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

iPhone 12 pro scratched screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.