Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Previous users ID will not clear on sign in field

I have a Mac Book Air assigned to me by the University. The previous users ID appears when I try to do updates and I cannot type my ID over the old one. Is there a solution for this?

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 1:10 PM

Hey laserbub,

We see you're attempting to update your university assigned MacBook Air, but are prompted for an Apple ID that is not yours.

Depending on how the Mac was set up by the university, this may be expected behavior. Software is tied to an Apple ID, and if prompted to update that software, the same Apple ID is required.

An option may be to create a new account using your own Apple ID and then install any needed updates through there.

If that does not resolve the issue, or is not an option due to restrictions from your University, we'd recommend reaching out to their Helpdesk directly for additional assistance.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2020 1:10 PM in response to laserbub

Hey laserbub,

We see you're attempting to update your university assigned MacBook Air, but are prompted for an Apple ID that is not yours.

Depending on how the Mac was set up by the university, this may be expected behavior. Software is tied to an Apple ID, and if prompted to update that software, the same Apple ID is required.

An option may be to create a new account using your own Apple ID and then install any needed updates through there.

If that does not resolve the issue, or is not an option due to restrictions from your University, we'd recommend reaching out to their Helpdesk directly for additional assistance.

Cheers!

Previous users ID will not clear on sign in field

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.