Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP -- Two step authentication - no recovery key, no trusted devices available?!?!

Got a new IPhone SE.

The Verizon rep entered my Apple ID and everything loaded from the backup (contacts, photos, apps, passwords, etc). We had two step authentication on our old phone. And I guess it just automatically setup this phone the same when ICloud installed.

But I started getting a message saying I needed to finish my Apple ID setup - I click on it - enter my password and it starts saying WAITING FOR APPROVAL with a spinning wheel. I realize it is waiting for a code to be sent to one of our other devices - but we do not have those other devices anymore - both won't turn on because of water damage. There is also NO button to have it sent via trusted phone number which many articles suggest.

We do not have the recovery key.

And now we are also getting the message "ICloud is disabled - repair account" as well.

So what do we do?

This is becoming beyond frustrating?

-- I heard you can do some sort of account recovery but it takes several days and you can't use phone.

-- What about backing up our ICloud (contacts, photos, apps, etc) somewhere and then starting a new ICloud and uploading all that stuff to the new Apple ID / ICloud? Really don't wanna do this.

-- What about a hard reset of the phone (restored to blank) and then starting new - I assume it will still do the same thing and need two factor auth eventually?

-- What about logging in to my ICloud on a friends IPhone. It will send a code to my new phone which I do get. Then I try logging in and it would send a code to my friends phone (that is logged in under my account) right?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 2:51 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 29, 2020 4:23 PM in response to kbrockandroll11

Account recovery is likely your only recourse.

Also, FYI, you mentioned “We had two step authentication on our old phone. And I guess it just automatically setup this phone the same when ICloud installed.” But note that 2FA has nothing to do with any particular device you own and use. Apple 2 factor authentication, and the legacy 2 step verification systems are associated with your AppleID. Since you used the same AppleID on the new device, of course it uses 2FA as your AppleID is protected by 2FA. But 2FA has nothing to do with securing a device. It is there to secure you AppleID - the login ID you use with all your Apple online service accounts like iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage, etc.

And you can enter a backup SMS or voice telephone number to receive codes on for when you don’t have access to a trusted device. You could use a home landline number, a work office number, a spouse or family members number, or a Google Voice number as backups for codes.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Trusted phone numbers

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.”

HELP -- Two step authentication - no recovery key, no trusted devices available?!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.