Have Trusted "Erased" Device with Passcode, Have (2) Trusted Numbers, Know My Password, But Lost Recovery Key and cannot access Apple ID because of this. Need Serious Help!

Completely lost for what to do. In April 2023, I had an iPhone 13 Pro device lost and ultimately confiscated.

It was at the time signed into my Apple ID with lots of needed information also saved to the device itself.

I ended up getting a new device iPhone 14 Max while simultaneously changing phone providers.

I never could log into my Apple ID on the new device, because I didn't have the old "Trusted" device I'm told.

I finally recovered the iPhone 13, but had set it to erase when turned on and connected to WIFI. It erased! :(

The old device now tells me this when trying to login to my Apple ID...

The issue is I NEVER receive any Notification on the iPhone 14, which has the "Trusted" phone number.

Again, the iPhone 14 was NEVER able to sign in to my Apple ID, so it's not a "Trusted" device I'm guessing?

My other Trusted # for my Apple ID is a friend's phone that's an Android. NEVER receives notification either.

I have spoken with multiple (3+) Apple Support Personnel and still cannot access my own Apple ID To-Date.

The main issue is...

Apparently, I setup a Recovery Key for my Apple ID, but saved the 28-character "Key" in my Notes on the old device itself (iPhone 13, which was erased) and saved it in iCloud, which cannot be accessed without the Recovery Key itself! So, even though I...

1) Know my Apple ID and...

2) Know my current password and...

3) Have a "Trusted" device that was logged into my Apple ID before it connected and erased...

I still cannot access my Apple ID or 15+ years worth of information, data, and pictures saved in the iCloud because I don't have access to the Recovery Key that I believe to be saved in the iCloud within my Notes.

I have been doing circles, and I'm told by the latest Senior Apple Customer Support personnel this evening that I picked the highest level of security and there is nothing more they can do to assist. In fact, he did provide this to reference as well in an email when I requested to submit an "Account Recovery"...

• "When you generate a recovery key, you can't use account recovery. Account recovery is a process that would otherwise help you get back into your Apple ID account when you don’t have enough information to reset your password. Learn more about account recovery. "

My one and only question left is does that mean that Apple Support could easily help me recover my account in terms of capability, but won't because of legal or liability reasons?

Any Apple Consumer who has dealt with this or a similar situation and has another possible solution or workaround I would greatly appreciate any feedback in order to avoid losing 15+ plus year's worth of life's events.

(And ALWAYS read the FINE PRINT and INSTRUCTIONS in the future)

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 11:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 8:41 AM

When you have a recovery key turned on but you are without a trusted device that you are logged into where you can change it in setting-- if forgotten or lost then there's no recourse. You can't even do account recovery after a recovery key has been activated. Anything you try to do in associated with your Apple ID including signing in will require that recovery key.

I'm really sorry but from what I've read in your description, there's no recourse here unless you can find that recovery key or you find a device that you are currently logged into where you can go into settings and generate a new recovery key.

How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 8:41 AM in response to jdaehnke2

When you have a recovery key turned on but you are without a trusted device that you are logged into where you can change it in setting-- if forgotten or lost then there's no recourse. You can't even do account recovery after a recovery key has been activated. Anything you try to do in associated with your Apple ID including signing in will require that recovery key.

I'm really sorry but from what I've read in your description, there's no recourse here unless you can find that recovery key or you find a device that you are currently logged into where you can go into settings and generate a new recovery key.

How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

Aug 14, 2023 8:28 AM in response to WheelieNick

Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately, I’d did try that and that’s when the Senior Apple Support Personnel sent me what I put in quotes near the bottom of my post, which is because I have a Recovery Key associated with my account…I cannot enroll in “Account Recovery.”

It’s like I’m stuck in a “Catch-22” situation to use that phrase.

I’m even trying to contact my email provider to see if they could recover old emails from Apple in order to track this “Recovery Key” down. Lol

Thanks again for the suggestion :)

Aug 14, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Libby101a

Thank you. And, that’s what I’m being told and understanding. It’s frustrating that I recovered the Trusted device, but then it erased when I turned it on basically logging me out of my AppleID and resetting the phone as of it were a new phone.

I’m wondering if I could take it to my old service provider and they could do a backup to the phone possibly, but that has nothing to do with Apple.

I also don’t understand why Apple states that if I have a trusted device with the “Passcode” enabled and know my “Apple ID” and “Password” then I should at least be able to reset my password to regain access.

I just think they need to be more specific (and/or) add another FAQ section to their policies/procedures for situations like this.

Apple is now the first company I’ve ever known that has legitimately allowed me to lock and basically “erase” me out of my own life! Lol.

I saved EVERYTHING in the Cloud because I always felt it was safest there from every being lost or destroyed (From things like Natural Disasters) and I would always be able to access them anytime, anywhere.

Turns out…that’s not true :(

Have Trusted "Erased" Device with Passcode, Have (2) Trusted Numbers, Know My Password, But Lost Recovery Key and cannot access Apple ID because of this. Need Serious Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.