Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro - Call Failed - Verizon

I've had my new 12 Pro for 1 day and cannot make or receive calls. Receive "call failed" message. Can receive and make texts as well as email. Verizon says it is related to 5G outage but it doesn't make sense since LTE and WiFi calling don't work. Anyone having similar issues?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 10:39 AM

I have this same issue, I don't receive messages and I get the call failed message. This issue comes back over and over on the iPhone 12 after completing all the steps given in the link above.

We need a real solution, not getting important texts and being able to make important work calls is a big issue. I don't want to turn airplane mode on and off every week along with the other steps that are only temporary.

278 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2020 10:39 AM in response to mkgesq

I have this same issue, I don't receive messages and I get the call failed message. This issue comes back over and over on the iPhone 12 after completing all the steps given in the link above.

We need a real solution, not getting important texts and being able to make important work calls is a big issue. I don't want to turn airplane mode on and off every week along with the other steps that are only temporary.

Jan 9, 2021 7:45 AM in response to hbudovsky

hbudovsky wrote:

I am not really sure they know.

Well, if you mean Apple or Verizon, they don’t know unless users contact them and tell them. I hope you have done so. Here are several ways to contact Apple:

Feb 22, 2021 12:21 PM in response to Everest923

Everest923 wrote:

I agree. I’ve been having other issues with phone calls that are phone or iOS related. If I am successful in making or answering phone calls, I can’t hang up. When I pull the phone away from my face the phone screen is black. I have to fumble around to find the phone app and when I do there’s a green button not a red one (to hang up) I recently saw that the time in the upper left hand side is in a green oval and apparently you have to touch that to bring the phone display back. Not very intuitive.

Pressing the Side button will hang up the call.

If the phone screen is still black when you take it away from your face most likely you have a case that is partially blocking the proximity detector that turns off the screen when you hold the phone to your face so your fact doesn’t trigger any buttons.

Not very intuitive.

It IS described in the manual, but who reads manuals? Also in this KB article→Status icons and symbols on your iPhone - Apple Support near the bottom:

Dec 23, 2020 1:07 PM in response to deggie

Hi, deggie; yes, this appears to be a Verizon issue, but whether it is a network problem, a baseband firmware problem or carrier settings isn’t clear. It might even be hardware, because the cellular radio modem in the 12 is a new design that supports 5G, and isn’t like any other cellular modem in use in other iPhone models.

For users with the problem, there are a couple of things to try:

• Make sure the phone is not in Airplane mode
  • Update your carrier settings: Go to Settings/General/About and wait for a couple of minutes; if there is an update you will be prompted to install it
  • Restore your phone using your computer; use iTunes on all Windows PCs and Macs running an OS older than Catalina; use Finder on Catalina and Big Sur (10.15 and 10.16)

The restore using a computer reinstalls and/or updates the baseband firmware; updating over the air does not.

BTW, this has been discussed in this thread, but unless you read all of it you will miss these troubleshooting steps.

Nov 8, 2020 1:01 PM in response to bailier

This does not solve anything. In less than 2 weeks having this phone, I am yet agin without phone service for the entire day.

I have an elderly father in the hospital and the doctor had been trying to reach me all day for consent to perform a procedure. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Clearly, this device has design flaws as the rest of my family who are on the same calling plan as me are and on various other versions on iPhones are working fine.

Nov 8, 2020 2:41 PM in response to mkgesq

Update: after Verizon tech support was unable to assist, including a reset of network and all settings, which essentially wiped all information, I restored the backup from my last phone before trading in for the 12 Pro. Following restore, I am now able to make and receive calls on the 12 Pro.

Something definitely weird is going on with this device.

Nov 11, 2020 7:48 PM in response to mkgesq

I have had the exact same issue. Purchased iPhone 12 pro. Someone tries to call me it will say my number is not in service. I try to call someone and it will say called failed. I then have to turn airplane mode on and back off and it will start working again but there is no way for me to know if it is or isn’t working since it says I still have service. Just have to randomly try calling someone throughout the day to know if I have to turn airplane mode on and off again. Very frustrating.

turning airplane mode on and off is the only thing that seems to work out of all the stuff I have tried but that is not a fix. Just a temporary solution.

Nov 21, 2020 7:59 AM in response to deggie

We have a Verizon business account with about 40 phones. So far, 4 ppl have upgraded to the 12 Pro. Two of us are having the same issues. One can’t call any AT&T numbers and, frequently, his calls go straight to voicemail even tho airplane mode is off. I can’t dial any toll free numbers. This appears to be a Verizon issue since I haven’t heard of other carriers having the same problems. I’ve been on the phone with Verizon tech support 3 times for a combination of 4 hours and still no resolutions. I would not recommend upgrading to the Verizon iPhone 12 until they figure this out. They have no idea what’s going on and simply can’t fix it. I’m going back to my X (not x-husband 😂) until they come up with a fix and am also discouraging the other 36 ppl on our account from upgrading to the 12.

Nov 21, 2020 8:40 AM in response to KatG419

I called Verizon and the tech support guy did something on my account with “wifi calling” which wasn’t activated or something and after he did it I could call toll free numbers. I don’t use wifi calling but it might have been the bug that fixed it? I also went in data settings and turned off 5g so it only connects to 4g. Sad, because that’s the reason I bought this phone and it seems to have “fixed” the problem so far.

iPhone 12 Pro - Call Failed - Verizon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.