Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How should I set EXIF data on video files for correct import in Photos app?

I am manually importing video files into the Photos app from an iPhoto library. The video files all have correct creation and modification data in Finder but they end up on the date of import when dragging them into Photos.

I have understood that this have been an issue for some time but I haven't been able to find a solution when searching in the forum.

I suppose I should use tools like "A Better Finder Attributes" or "SetEXIFdata" (I have downloaded both) in order to modify the EXIF data of the video files in some way, making Photos understand the correct date, but there seems to be lots of different options and I wonder which modification is effective. If any.

The video files are .avi and .mov files.

I am using Photos 5.0 and Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 4:54 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 2, 2020 5:51 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for advice Léonie. However, since I am importing 1,000 video files it is a bit cumbersome to do this manually.

Since the files already have correct time and date in the file information, it would a huge advantage if I could apply a modification of the EXIF data before import, and doing this on all video files at once, or at least 100 files at a time, using the file creation data, in order to avoid manually adjusting date and time for every video.

However, I still don't know how to adjust the EXIF data for Photos to use it.

Nov 2, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Mats Lewan

You can add the date to the beginning of the filename and keep the rest (GraphicConverter can add the file create date before or after the existing filename via its GUI). But if you want to preserve the original filename intact you might have to use the Terminal:

If the existing .mov (.avi is a different matter) file create date is correct, you can use the following exiftool command to set QuickTime:CreateDate to match it for all movies in that folder:

exiftool -m -P -overwrite_original_in_place -wm w -api QuickTimeUTC=1 '-CreateDate<FileCreateDate' .

I use a similar command that sets all existing metadata dates (other unimportant QuickTime date tags, file modify date, possible Keys and Userdata dates that iOS devices use) the same but I tried to keep that example simple.

That works for movies after 1904 for Photos.app (and after 1970 for Google Photos). For older movies you must use Keys:CreationDate (described in the link léonie posted).

Nov 2, 2020 10:02 PM in response to Mats Lewan

AFAIR older iPhoto and Photos versions used the file creation date for movies. But newer versions get the movie date from 1. Keys tag, 2. QuickTime tag, and 3. as a last resort from the file creation date when importing.

I guess .avi files lack Keys and QuickTime tags so they use the file creation date. I have all my old .avi files converted to QuickTime based .mov, .mp4 and .m4v.

(BTW File creation & modification dates can be set as far as 1904 but they very easily then revert to 1970 or sometimes to some random weird future date after rebooting etc.)

How should I set EXIF data on video files for correct import in Photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.