Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPhone 12 OLED Screen Issue

Hello. I bought two iPhone 12 and both has the same issue. In dark surrounding on any brightness lower than 90-100% screen has this ugly glowing! Black pixels are not turning off in dynamic scenes. In static scene black pixels turning off after few seconds.

My video shows it in video and in clock app.

https://youtu.be/BAWSIf2oVlE

And this is comparison by another one person who have this problem but with iPhone 12 Pro. iPhone 12 Pro vs iPhone XS screen.

That’s not normal at all. I post it to support and they said I should wait more. That’s just great...

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 2:16 PM

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 14, 2020 7:59 AM in response to David2762 In response to David2762

I recieved my iphone 12 pro max yesterday. It has the same issue, once the brightness < 90% it can not show complete black at all. I asusme it a harware issue due to the new magnet at the back that cause the issue. When i put my phone on my macbook screen it also casue the screen to act abnormally. :/// I am considering returning the phone. It should not be occuring on a such premium phone tbh. Hope your max does not have the issue tho

Nov 14, 2020 7:59 AM

Nov 5, 2020 10:22 AM in response to m4x1k In response to m4x1k

I can confirm!

And this is driving me nuts. This is not how an OLED should work.

I found countless similar threads in forums from the US and Europe. I think it’s a common problem. Probably every iPhone 12 is affected. At least it seems like.

Thing is, most people will never recognize this problem.

Hopefully this is software related and a fix will come some day.

And please excuse my English.

Nov 5, 2020 10:22 AM

Nov 5, 2020 11:23 PM in response to m4x1k In response to m4x1k

Lots of people in Korea have this problem too, I just hope that it can be solved by software update.

When I boot up my iphone 12pro, and when I watch dark video especially including black color, the OLED doesn't show me the complete black color. I really hope that it is just a software bug and can be fixed by software update.

Nov 5, 2020 11:23 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 4, 2020 2:57 PM in response to Seshtai In response to Seshtai

Yep. They did and said everything is alright. But you can’t diagnose this type of problem by online. And guy with iPhone 12 Pro who has the same problem went to Apple Center and they registered his problem but said maybe it’s normal, said same to me and asking for further self diagnose...

Nov 4, 2020 2:57 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 5, 2020 10:22 AM in response to m4x1k In response to m4x1k

I can confirm!

And this is driving me nuts. This is not how an OLED should work.

I found countless similar threads in forums from the US and Europe. I think it’s a common problem. Probably every iPhone 12 is affected. At least it seems like.

Thing is, most people will never recognize this problem.

Hopefully this is software related and a fix will come some day.

And please excuse my English.

Nov 5, 2020 10:22 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Nov 5, 2020 11:22 AM in response to gravity44 In response to gravity44

Yep, my girlfriend didn’t even noticed that before I showed it to her, now she sees this glowing everywhere too.) Probably most of people just think it’s normal OLED behavior. I contacted my country support and they take this problem on some force control or something. I’m really hope it can be fixed by software. Right now it’s uncomfortable to watch movies at dark room — my black colors either blinking or shows as dark grey.

Nov 5, 2020 11:22 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Nov 5, 2020 11:23 PM in response to m4x1k In response to m4x1k

Lots of people in Korea have this problem too, I just hope that it can be solved by software update.

When I boot up my iphone 12pro, and when I watch dark video especially including black color, the OLED doesn't show me the complete black color. I really hope that it is just a software bug and can be fixed by software update.

Nov 5, 2020 11:23 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Nov 7, 2020 1:22 PM in response to m4x1k In response to m4x1k

I can confirm this problem. Three iPhone 12 Pros (2 in Germany and 1 in the USA) have this problem. It’s really a bummer how such an expensive phone has such a major problem with the display. My iPhone 11 Pro was perfect. I’m returning it and hope the iPhone 12 Pro Max does not have this problem!

Nov 7, 2020 1:22 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 7, 2020 1:44 PM in response to m4x1k In response to m4x1k

I tried doing a DFU reset on my iPhone 12 Pro yesterday since 14.2 came out a couple days ago through iTunes. I did notice a change for the better. It seems like anything below 70% brightness seems to have that weird grey light effect during complete black scenes in a pitch black room but 70% or higher are showing true blacks as they should on an OLED. Before I did the DFU the only time I would get TRUE blacks with 0 weird backlighting issues is when it was at 100% brightness. Also, I’d like to mention that I’m aware that Apple didn’t release any info about fixing a brightness issue on the 14.2 bug notes. I figured I’d give it a try and it seemed to help a bit for me. Idk if you guys want to give it a shot but definitely make sure to have all your **** backed up into your iCloud first. It’s a pain in the *** doing a DFU reset but worth it IMO. I posted this in the macrumors forums as well. Hopes it helps some people as it did me

Nov 7, 2020 1:44 PM

Reply Helpful (4)
User profile for user: m4x1k

Question: iPhone 12 OLED Screen Issue