Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu Button on Apple TV Remote (aluminum) Does Not Work

The Menu button on our aluminum (pre-Siri) Apple TV remote no longer works, though all other buttons do.

I tried all the steps recommended by Apple Support, including cleaning to be sure the button does not have debris blocking it.

When pressing the remote, I can feel the same sensation of the button compressing and returning as I feel with other buttons.

Watching the light on the AppleTV, I pressed each button. Every button but the Menu button caused the light to flash.

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 8:10 AM

Hello phidgety,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are having an issue with your Apple Remote for your Apple TV, even after trying some good steps. At this point, you may need to buy a replacement Apple Remote and here is the link to do this:

Apple Remote - Apple

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2020 8:10 AM in response to phidgety

Hello phidgety,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are having an issue with your Apple Remote for your Apple TV, even after trying some good steps. At this point, you may need to buy a replacement Apple Remote and here is the link to do this:

Apple Remote - Apple

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2020 9:12 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thanks jdo_apple,

I took your advice and purchased a new remote. Now all the buttons cause the AppleTV to flash it’s light.

However, the television still does not respond to commands from the remote, so we switched our AppleTV with our daughter’s (same model) and that didn’t work. I’m going to try our daughter’s unit on another television, if it functions correctly, that probably means the television has issues.

Thanks again

Menu Button on Apple TV Remote (aluminum) Does Not Work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.