Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Applications Loading Slow and Dock Bounce

All of our company computers upgraded to 11.01 are experiencing incredibly slow application loads. These are on new 13inch MacBook's x86. For example: Safari takes 25 to 35 seconds, Edge takes 30 seconds, Microsoft Teams takes 20 seconds, Microsoft Excel takes 1 minute.

When you reboot, loading all past applications can take 5 minutes or more. The computer ins't responsible while booting and loading.

Anyone else experiencing this issue and know how to resolve?

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 1:35 PM

Appreciate the response. Seems like everyone with a large number of points are equally as helpful across this community. Also, we have been running 11.0.1 as of yesterday and without any updates today... but things started acting bad today. We are software company and need to run all variations and versions of operating systems.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 1:35 PM in response to KiltedTim

Appreciate the response. Seems like everyone with a large number of points are equally as helpful across this community. Also, we have been running 11.0.1 as of yesterday and without any updates today... but things started acting bad today. We are software company and need to run all variations and versions of operating systems.

Dec 21, 2020 5:13 PM in response to FinkJimbo

Thank you , same problem here ... Called twice for support and this did not help.

I purchased CleanmyMAC X

Ran the program ,

Discovered that I had program for my Tablet which did not respond and blocked the start up of my MAC : I disconnected my Tablet .

Then I ran 2 of the maintenance options offert in the Application:

• Run Maintenance script
  • Flush DNS cache

Since , the machine runs like a dream

Well worth the $39 for CleanmyMAC X program.

Hope this will help .. I posted this few weeks ago

Good luck

Nov 12, 2020 3:13 PM in response to KiltedTim

You might want to reconsider replying with a snarky answer that accomplishes nothing other than demonstrating your fragile ego. This is a released OS. Nothing to prevent anyone from potentially deploying it widely on multiple systems. That's why many of us actually do assume some risk and beta test things for Apple and other companies. When I weigh in on someone's tech problems, I actually try to address the issue, not berate that person for having the gumption to actually, like, update to a released OS. You might want to consider a humanity transplant.

Nov 15, 2020 12:06 AM in response to TimUzzanti

This Big Sur is totally appalling. I have used iMACs for about 10 years and they have been excellent. The startup app' load speed is reminiscent of WindowsXP/7 (the reason I switched to Apple). The cap it all sometimes I have type 10 characters into safari before it even displays 1. Frankly doing this update was a big big mistake

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 28, 2020 6:36 AM in response to TimUzzanti

Tim , I had the same problem , 4 minutes , 18 seconds to start my 2020 iMac 10 cores ...

I contacted Apple , but did not get the solution ..

I found the problem .. , I should say problemS .

1 - I discovered using Clean my Mac X that on program from my Wacom Tablet was not responding ... I unplugged the tablet

2 - Secondly , I flush my DNS Caches !!! using this method : https://www.tridevcomputer.com/post/how-to-flush-dns-cache-in-macos-big-sur-and-catalina

Now my iMac BIG SUR is loading quickly , also , I am using less CPU resources since I do not have the unresponsive application.

You may want to unplug all peripherals , do a DNS Caches flush ...

I wish you to be successful, I was so frustrated with the situation ..

Have a great week-end

Marcel

Dec 21, 2020 4:55 PM in response to TimUzzanti

I am not a developer, nor an IT guru, just the CEO of a small (20 employee) boutique firm. I personally upgraded my iMac to Big Sur with great expectations, and we have all been let down. I waited until 11.1 to do the upgrade and have suffered from the incredibly slow loads, as well as time spent waiting for applications to function fully even after loaded. FYI, I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015).

I spent 90 minutes with a tech rep from Apple today and learned a lot. Cleaned up malware (that's on me), lots of other clutter the Big Sur doesn't do well with. You really need to be a Mac IT expert to go through the myriad of clean-up that we did -- thankfully. But the big aha discovery was that I learned that if you have a Fusion drive (which I do - 2.12 TB) that it further exacerbates the problem and you need to be really careful. If you are being told to reboot this, reboot that, by a lower level Apple Support person, I was told that you could absolutely burn out your drive if it is a Fusion drive. Big Sur does not evidently do well with a Fusion drive. I have no clue if this is true, but this is what I was told by a higher level Apple support person.

So be aware. And hopefully, Apple will realize how they have inconvenienced and disenfranchised some of us (I go back to the original Macintosh days :)) and they will try to resolve all of this. Otherwise, many of us now have obsolete hardware.

I hope that this is a helpful post from a non-tech person.

[Edited by Moderator]

Big Sur Applications Loading Slow and Dock Bounce

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.